Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default feasible usage - 04-03-2009, 09:04 PM

I've been looking at the mini 9 for a few months now and trying come up with a reason that I really need one. With the deals on low end mini 9s that are showing up on the outlet store I think I may be able to justify it, but first I need to know if my planned use would actually work.

I have a Canon 50D with a 16gb cf card. Would a 4gb 512mb ubuntu mini be able to download 16 gb of pictures, using picasa and place them on a WD passport usb drive? Any chance of this being done in a reasonable amount of time, or at least before the batteries of the mini died?

Would upgrading the memory to 2gb improve this usage, or would the transfer speed of the usb be the bottleneck?

Would an SDHC card be quicker than the external drive? I would imagine it would at least improve the battery life.

Thanks for any comments.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: feasible usage - 04-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Should work fine. The speed of your CF card is the biggest issue. Right now I am traveling in Japan with my Canon 40D, Mini 9 and WD Passport drive. With a high-speed card, transferring the whole 16GB should take no more than 10 minutes.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« 32GB & 2Gb of Ram $88.88 | Dell Mini 9 off eBay...good or bad idea? »