Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Angry NYT: Thin and Inexpensive Netbooks... - 04-03-2009, 01:06 AM

New York Times: Light and Cheap, Netbooks Are Poised to Reshape PC Industry

The above article prominently features a picture of the Dell Mini 9, but the article itself barely mentions it or any other specific netbook. The article itself is not very well written; it seems to be highlighting the "new breed of netbooks" that use cellphone chipsets, but it wanders from topic to topic in an extremely confusing manner and offers few details. However, it is an interesting read if only for the discussion of the turmoil that netbooks are bringing to the traditional desktop/laptop market. This is probably one of the best parts of the article:

Intel and Microsoft warn that consumers should remain skeptical about the performance of a computer that costs less than $300.

“When these things are sold, they need clear warnings labels about what they won’t be able to do,” said Sean M. Maloney, the chief sales and marketing officer at Intel. “It would be good to wait and play with one of these products before the industry gets carried away.”
Then the article goes on to say that Intel and Microsoft stand to lose the most from the "rise of netbooks"; the former because of the inexpensive chipsets and the latter because of the prevalence of XP and even Linux on netbooks.

So what do you think? Should Dell put a warning sticker on the Mini 9? I'm all for it! It should read: "WARNING! This computer poses a great threat to the profit margins of laptop resellers, chipset manufacturers, and sellers of Windows Vista. Continued use of this netbook may result in more continued use of this netbook. Symptoms include compulsive searching for Wi-Fi hotspots and compulsive checking of the Dell Outlet."
  (#2) Old
Default Re: NYT: Thin and Inexpensive Netbooks... - 04-03-2009, 03:24 AM

Ha, the Dell Mini 9 should have increased the stock price for Apple. I never thought I'd buy OSX ... but I did for this netbook. :-) Seems to me, others did the same.

Long Live the Netbook ... everyone wins ...

Dell Mini 9 (96Gb) | White | SL 10.6.5 + Win7 Pro using EasyBCD 2.0 | 2G GSkill 667 RAM | No Webcam | BIOS A05 | 32G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | 32G SDHC (int w/ MR04 Card) | 1505 802.11n | Internal BT | Chrome Apple Logo
Dell Vostro A90 (96Gb) | SL 10.6.5 | 2G HyperX | 0.3Webcam | BIOS A04 | 64G Runcore SSD | 32G SDHC (ext) | and other stock features
  (#3) Old
Default Re: NYT: Thin and Inexpensive Netbooks... - 04-03-2009, 03:25 AM

I think Intel and MS both underestimate what these things can do. As far as laptops go,they basically do what most laptops are good for. Thats why people have desktops for gaming,video editing,photoshop and the like.

People who buy those high end gaming laptops need to check out the prices on desktop computer parts before buying them, thats for sure. However,thats not to say im not eagerly awaiting ION, but thats not gonna be that much more than the Mini 9 im typing on now...

Mini Gaming Addict List of Playable Games Current Favorite: Darwinia
*Sold My Mini 9*
  (#4) Old
Default Re: NYT: Thin and Inexpensive Netbooks... - 04-03-2009, 03:49 AM

hmm mine can do the same as my old hp pavilion... They just say that because they will start loosing out if they dont have a netbook out. I dont think any of them actually own one.
  (#5) Old
Default Re: NYT: Thin and Inexpensive Netbooks... - 04-03-2009, 04:19 AM

Warning: This product delivers exactly what you paid for.

or how bout this: Warning: Use of this device may result in overall sense of satisfaction.
  (#6) Old
Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Default Re: NYT: Thin and Inexpensive Netbooks... - 04-03-2009, 05:19 AM

When Win 7 comes out I have a feeling MS will be feeling pretty good about Netbooks.

Alpine White Dell Mini 9 | Super Talent 32 GB SSD | G.SKILL 2 GB RAM | Windows 7 Professional
  (#7) Old
Default Re: NYT: Thin and Inexpensive Netbooks... - 04-20-2009, 07:24 PM

Here's the dirty little secret about computers: most people need nothing like the computing power available in your typical laptop. That's why netbooks are doing so well. There's very little trade-off. Only hardcore gamers and hardcore number crunchers need anything more than what a netbook offers in terms of processing power.
  (#8) Old
Retired Mini user
Default Re: NYT: Thin and Inexpensive Netbooks... - 04-20-2009, 07:29 PM

Well, except all the complaints about streaming Hulu... :mrgreen:

Getting an iPad

« Screen from angles gets lines | Mint »