Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default Re: itunes music on SDHC card - 04-01-2009, 02:10 AM

Tcarew has the right idea. You can actually do video. I have a 8 gig transcend SDHC class 6 card from New Egg. I have several MP4 movie files stored on mine plus a couple gigs of MP3's for traveling. I was never into Apple despite my kids having 4 I-pods and a i-phone! I play them with Windows Media player and the video works excellent much better than the streaming video. My daughters have another Dell mini-9 and a EEPC and they can both do streaming video and music from there SD cards to I-tunes so it is no problem. Now I'm just waiting for my 32 gig Super Talent SSD to show up I might try Win 7 or even OS X!
  (#12) Old
Default Re: itunes music on SDHC card - 04-01-2009, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by leftnose
Pretty much any SD card will be fast enough for MP3s. The highest bitrate for an MP3 is 320 kbit/sec and most music is probably encoded at 128 kbit/s. The slowest of slow SD cards will transfer around .9MB/sec, or about triple the rate needed for the highest quality MP3.

The problem I have is deciding which music to leave behind. My MP3 collection is 100+ GB. :shock:
bits to bytes my man, 320kbps does not equal .320MB/sec. If that was the case, a 4mb song would only be what, 12 seconds long or so? Back to the topic, I have itunes set to use my kingston class 4 32GB SDHC card as the primary iTunes directory, new MP3s get added there, and all my music is stored there. I am able to listen to music just fine while playing snes with the roms also stored on the SD card. I still have the stock 8gb SSD from dell (waiting on runcore) and 2gb of 18 dollar ram from amazon. ... 613&sr=8-4 is the card I am using.

Dell Mini 9 8GB SSD 32GB SDHC 2GB RAM, BT, 1.3 cam 10.5.6 OS X
Apple Macbook Pro 17inch 2x128 G.SKill Titan SSD, 4GB RAM
  (#13) Old
Default Hey STiMULi, you sound like a salesman for ATP. - 06-02-2009, 09:28 PM

I wish I hadn't seen your post about ATP card.
I could have gotten a Transcend from the 'egg' for about $15.00 cheaper and I knew that before I actually made my purchase.
Something about the way you were raving about the ATP made me decide to get it instead.
Also, the fact that you are a 'senior' member here and the fact that you are also from southern Arizona helped to sway me.
Haven't received it yet but it does look good - it's waterproof so I can take my mini9 swimming with me(lol),assuming I can find any water to swim in down here.
Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. Hadn't heard of these before.
  (#14) Old
Default 06-02-2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by BFRedrocks View Post
I store my ~6 GB ITunes library on a 16 GB Transcend Class 6 SDHC and it runs no problem. It definitely frees up some hard drive space and works great for me. I'm using Win XP w/ 2GB RAM.
Me too. I also store all my movies and music (12gb).

My Dell Mini 9 | 2gb Crucial Ram | 16gb STEC SSD | 16gb SDHC| 0.3mp Webcam |OS X 10.5.7| DellEFI 1.1 | A05 | Meklort's Touchpad Drivers | Dropbox | My Desktop
  (#15) Old
Default 06-02-2009, 11:30 PM

I have an M9 with OSX & one with WinXP home. Both run iTunes lib. off of Transcend 16GB SDHC without an issue.
  (#16) Old
Default 06-04-2009, 07:13 AM

Enough people have said it already but iTunes will play music just fine from an SDHC card. I have all my music stored on an internal USB stick and iTunes plays music from that with no problems.

Everything's Blue, Everything's Blue In This World, All Fuzzy, Spilling Out Of My Head.

« Website where you can compare netbook/laptop sizes | How do I remove the WiFi antenae from the card?? »