Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Dell refurb return rejected - but a $40 credit - 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM

So I was going to return my Dell Outlet Mini 9 that I bought last week for $282.

It was scratched and I did not order it with Bluetooth.

I bought another one in the sale yesterday for $237 and planned on waiting it out for the discount and the config I wanted.

Dell would not let me return the refurb I bought last week becasue they said that minor scratches are acceptable for refurbs.

So I said "Why the category for "Scratch and Dent"?

Then I said that I wanted to return it anyway.

Dell responded: " I am sorry to hear that sir, would you take $20 credit?"

I said: "How about $60?"

Dell said: " That is a little too high, How about $40?"

I said: "I will take it!"

So I canceled my order from yesterday's sale and got and additional $40 of my Dell Outlet purchase.

Thought you would like to know.

Vanhalo is currently playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2009.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Dell refurb return rejected - but a $40 credit - 03-25-2009, 11:50 PM

Dell does this all the time.

I ordered a computer from them some time ago, and had to wait over 2 months for it. After complaining constantly I ended up with $100 dollar credit, free overnight shipping, free warranty add-on and a Logitech Harmony remote.

Dell might have some shitty service sometimes, but if you aren't afraid of CS people on the phone you can get them to give you all kinds of stuff. I have done this a few times.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Dell refurb return rejected - but a $40 credit - 03-26-2009, 02:38 AM

That is awesome! They paid you $40 for a scratch (or two) that likely would have happened in the coming months anyway. Good deal. It ALWAYS pays to call and be persistent. They would much rather give credit, upgrades, warranty... etc than a return. They have plenty of computers they are trying to get rid of!
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to MoInSTL Send a message via MSN to MoInSTL Send a message via Yahoo to MoInSTL
Default Re: Dell refurb return rejected - but a $40 credit - 03-26-2009, 04:48 AM

Received $50 credit on my "Previously Ordered New". Had placed an order at the Outlet and got laid off a couple of days later so I called Dell to return it. They also took $10 off the nano mouse for me to keep both.

Studio 15 1558| Black Chainlink| i5-520M, |4GB RAM |500 GB HD@7200 |ATI HD 4570, 512K|Backlit|9 Cell|Web Cam|Windows 7 Professional x64
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Dell refurb return rejected - but a $40 credit - 03-26-2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by efenili
Dell does this all the time.
Yup, Dell does this all the time. Dell's customers, however, don't (which is their loss).
  (#6) Old
Default Re: Dell refurb return rejected - but a $40 credit - 03-31-2009, 08:45 AM

Dell customer support blows. I bought my first mini (4gb, 512, blk w/Linux) with the 15% off in the outlet, with the intention of getting the 32 SSD and upgraded ram on my own to do the Hackintosh (which btw is AWESOME!!, as I type this post on my days old Hackintosh). Then a day later, I looked in the outlet again, and saw a 16GB white one with XP and 1gb, which is the color I REALLY wanted, so I bought it. Except this time, there was no box to redeem my coupon code. It was like 5AM, and their phone sales was closed (I tried to call). So I figured I would just buy it, and call later in the day and have them add the coupon to my order.

They REFUSED to do it. I tried to speak to the manager and she said the same thing. I explained the situation, and that it was not my fault they were closed, that I couldn't hold the item in my cart longer than 15 min, and that the box for the coupon code entry was missing. They still refused to do anything. So I was like fine, cancel it. This was literally a couple hours later. Nope, can't do that either, your orders already been processed. So I told them fine, go ahead and send it, waste everyone's time in shipping it to me, but I'm telling you right now, I'm going to return it, and if you try any BS with me, I'm going to dispute with AMEX, and they will tell you to go screw yourself!! I didn't quite put it so bluntly, but that's essentially how the conversation went down.

A few days later, it arrived, and I called to return it. The guy that took my call said there would be a restocking fee (I figured they would try to pull this). I explained the situation to him all over, and then he read the notes, and saw that I did try to cancel it. He also verified that the box for the cpn code entry was missing at the time of my order, but the best he could do was give me a $25 credit... I said that was ridiculous, that if he could offer $25, he couldn't offer the full 15% that I should have gotten off of it. I was pretty fed up by this point, and 15% woulda only been $15 bux more off on the original order, so I said fine.

You got a good CS rep, who offered to dbl the first offer. I tried and tried, but this guy wouldn't budge. If I wasn't so anxious to get my hack on, I woulda sent this thing back with a huge piece of turd, to show them what I think of their CS department.

In conclusion, Dell CS blows. They know its their fault, admit it, and tell you too bad... Only when threatened with a return will they actually try to help you.

« Prices in outlet up ... again | 3 questions about setting up XP on Mini »