Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default DVD to SD card conversion software - 03-25-2009, 08:01 PM

Can anyone recommend some software to convert DVD' to SD memeory cards that can be played on the Mini 9?

I have been searching the web but found nothing suitable.

regards

Rich
  (#2) Old

Default Re: DVD to SD card conversion software - 03-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimllfixit
Can anyone recommend some software to convert DVD' to SD memeory cards that can be played on the Mini 9?

I have been searching the web but found nothing suitable.

regards

Rich
I use a Mac and find Handbrake extremely useful. There are many preset choices for the final video file (Hi-Res iPod works good for viewing on a computer). After you have the file, just drag it to the SD card, insert card in the mini... and watch.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: DVD to SD card conversion software - 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM

I have also used Handbrake with good results.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: DVD to SD card conversion software - 03-25-2009, 09:22 PM

CloneDVD-Mobile for windows systems. Rip a CD/DVD down to MP4 or other formats and compress.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: DVD to SD card conversion software - 03-26-2009, 10:28 AM

I use DVDRip under Ubuntu.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: DVD to SD card conversion software - 03-26-2009, 02:51 PM

Use Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr) on OSX regularly, have heard good things about WIndows version.

I hear they also have a new GTK GUI (under Ubuntu ... and new here being since last Nov), with complete feature parity to the OSX version.

Considering how well its worked on OSX (which is where it started), and considering that it is Open Source and is now available on all the Major OS platforms we discuss around here (haven't heard of people putting Open Solaris on it, but who knows ), I'd highly recommend you give it a try.

Dell Mini 9 - Cherry Red. 2GB RAM, 64GB RunCore, BlueTooth, 10.6.7 (working on getting 10.6.8 'working' )
  (#7) Old

Default Re: DVD to SD card conversion software - 03-26-2009, 04:39 PM

I have been using a product from CuCusoft called Ultimate DVD + Video Converter Suite. It converts DVD's and videos to play on almost any portable device including iPod, iPod touch, iPod video nano, iPhone, Zune, PSP, video capable MP3 players, video capable mobile phones, and Pocket P.C., etc.
I have opted to rip movies to 720x480 WMV for playback on the Mini and it works great. You can tweak the simple settings for smaller file size or better quality. I usually set it so a typical DVD movie is approx a 900MB WMV. This way when I travel, I can store 16 movies on my SD card.
They have a free trial on their website that places a watermark on the ripped video. Also, I found a place and purchased it for half the retail cost on the CuCusoft website. I ordered it thru moneyoffsoftware.com for $29.98. Paid thru PayPal and received the instant download and key from CuCusoft.
http://www.moneyoffsoftware.com/cucu...n_8889-25.html

Inspiron 910 - 2GB Ram - 64GB SSD - 1.3 WebCam - Bluetooth - WiFi - Custom Skin - Windows7 RC1
  (#8) Old

Default Re: DVD to SD card conversion software - 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM

I rip DVDs with "DVD Shrink" on PC and save them in "ISO" format. (No DVD Shrink for Mac. I use it under Windows XP on VMWare Fusion.) ISO can be played using VLC Player on both Mac and PC. DVD Shrink let you rip only the main movie or any part of the DVD including subtitles. Also, it lets you compress only parts of DVD contents (i.e. 75% compression on extras and no compression on the main movie). Since DVD Shrink rips DVD without compression, you get exactly the same image quality as you play the DVD directly. However, the file can be big. No compression of a single DVD can be over 7GB, or main move is typically 5GB without compression. Cartoons are typically smaller, 3 to 4GB without compression.

2GB RAM, 64GB Runcore SDD, WinXP Home, Mac OS 10.5.6, touch screen, Dell 1505 a/b/g/n
  (#9) Old

Default Re: DVD to SD card conversion software - 03-26-2009, 06:43 PM

The settings I use in Handbrake give me a 640x resolution, which is fine for iPods, though smallish for a larger screen. Quality is good and I can get a 2 hour movie in under 1 GB.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: DVD to SD card conversion software - 03-27-2009, 10:27 AM

I have tried a few converters, and can someone confirm that when you want to convert to .avi fromat to play on WM it takes hours. I know that Windows media player cannot play Mpeg4 files, but what format does everyone else use to play a movie on Windows media Player?

« Dell charge disappeared? | Why did you choose mini 9? »