Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Touchpad Scrolling Question - 10-30-2008, 01:56 PM

I've had laptops with a touchpad, but never with the scrolling feature. The Mini 9 scrolls as I thought it would when using MS Works spreadsheet, but it is inconsistent when using Internet Explorer 6.0. When in IE, sometimes it scrolls vertically; sometimes it doesn't. It also doesn't seem to matter whether or not I place the mouse pointer on the scroll bar or not, nor do I know if I should have to. The manual, "Inspiron Setup Guide," page 17 includes a description of the touchpad that doesn't mention the scroll feature. I've experimented with the touchpad properties, but it doesn't change behavior in IE, and, as I mentioned, scrolling behaves consistently in Works.

So my question is, what should I expect from the touchpad scroll feature in Internet Explorer 6.0?

XP Home, Synaptics Driver ver 7/10/08.

Regards. . . .John
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Touchpad Scrolling Question - 10-30-2008, 03:18 PM

I'm not aware of the scroll feature being software dependent, but there are several factors that will affect it. In webpages, sometimes you have to click in a frame to make it the active component that will scroll. Or the scrolling might stop if the cursor is over a flash item. That said, every now and then I do run into parts of webpages or programs that will not scroll as I expect them to, I've just never tracked it or tried to figure out why. (And scrolling works fine for me in IE7 & Firefox.)

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Touchpad Scrolling Question - 10-31-2008, 05:42 PM

Thanks, JEJ. I was not thinking about parts of web pages being "active."

« i need HELP... | Product Registration »