Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Dell Mini 9 Update 2 - 03-20-2009, 05:22 PM

Just updating everyone on the ongoing saga of my neighbor's Dell Mini.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, Neighbor X has been having all sorts of issues..

It started with sporadic wireless connectivity issues. After a lengthy and aggravating experience with Dell CSR, he determined that there was some faulty wiring with the internal wireless card and the motherboard and she had it sent back.

After some weeks, The Dell came back, with the same issues.

Another lengthy call with a Dell CSR, and this time, it was determined that the OS had been corrupted. Because Neighbor X didn't purchase the external drive, it had to be sent back again.

It's back. While the OS was restored, X still couldn't connect into her wireless network. And Yep, that was another two hours with Dell, which included that Dell rep connecting to another PC she owns, with XP and fidgeting around with that neighbors wireless settings. End result? Nada.

In retrospect, the Dell Rep should have asked to have the Dell Mini hardwired into the network and he peek into that PC's settings, but it was kind of late, well for us anyway...

Anyway, I got stuck with the PC again. On Tuesday when I turned that thing on, there were 178 updates for it. I downloaded and installed them all. After an hour, I toggled Airplane Mode and a sub setting, wireless, and guess what?

I got wireless connectivity, yeah!

Not sure, yet, what Airplane Mode is and what it does as opposed to Fn 2, but it's working flawlessly now so thank you to everyone who tried to help.

BTW, Though this is a tech forum, fyi, even though she was under warranty, Dell billed her for the two months she's been having these problems AND for FedEx - two return packets and the cost of sending it back.

That one, I'm not involved with.

« UK Dell - mini 9 on sale today and 64GB SSD an option | Free space on a SSD (4GB) »