Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default 01-22-2010, 06:54 AM

I have 4 M9s, all for me.
One is currently downloading a torrent at home.
One is currently with me at work downloading a movie.
One is at home waiting to play the movie, feeding a large monitor
One is for spares and hobby work
  (#12) Old
Default Only one, but - 01-22-2010, 02:22 PM

I have to admit to having considered picking up another one. After reading the forum, and seeing the potential to upgrade and customize, it would be kinda fun to have a second mini to play with.... I do not like messing with my current one too much because I want it to work.... If I had a second one, I could gamble a great deal more and try out many ideas. If the mini crashed no big deal as I would not be relying on it to work when and where I needed it to work. I'll keep my eyes open for that steal of a deal, and if it shows up some day, I just might become a two mini owner.... I mean how cool is a triple booting system?
  (#13) Old
Expert Member
Default 01-22-2010, 03:58 PM

I own two because I'm nuts about my Mini 9!
I wanted a spare while they were incredibly inexpensive a while back so I grabbed one.

I've used my spare for testing some stuff but mostly so far I've just glommed onto it's extra battery and power supply.
Eventually I might even get around to installing an internal USB port in it to match my main one.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#14) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 01-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Because I run a website about them, and it's best that I get to know them individually

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#15) Old
Default 01-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Because they're just so darn handy! My first Mini 9 was purchased for work travel. I liked it so much that I decided to get another one for personal use (mainly taking notes in class). Fortunately, I got a great deal on an Outlet refurb during a coupon scale. When the Mini 10v was introduced, I ended up buying one of those too because the keyboard was such a big improvement over the 9. These days my Mini 9 lives in the kitchen so that I can quickly look up recipes or surf the Internet while waiting for something to cook. The 10v goes with me to work/school just about every day. The rest of the time it goes back and forth between the living room and bedroom because I always like to have a computer nearby in case I need to look something up or send a quick email.

I should admit I've also played around with the Mini 12 and the Latitude 2100. I'll probably be selling the 12 shortly, but I really like the 2100. The touchscreen is a nice feature!
  (#16) Old
Default 01-23-2010, 12:48 AM

I have 3 mini 9's all with 2gig ram and two with runcore 64gig SSD's - also have dell M6400. Why do I have 3 mini's......................

well all were brought through the Vodafone network so came fitted with the 3G card and two are used by my kids (aged 7 & 8) they are a little bit young for the laptops but seeing as they were cheap through the Vodafone network thought it was a good way for them to gain experience without taking control of the M6400.

Both run win 7 Ultimate which runs incredibly well on the mini 9.
I have removed one of the 3G cards and installed this in the M6400 which has also been very useful.

The last mini 9 is my full time work unit, and gets hooked into a 24inch display (1900 x 1080) & keyboard running XP pro and fitted with a 32gig SDHC card.

I also play with operating systems and having 3 mini's has allowed me to test various OS's hav now settled on Win 7 - yes tried OSX but found win 7 superior (my personal preference not a grand statement.

All my mini's are now over 1 year old and all have performed well - the SSD updates have been well worth it yes expensive but figure I still have another 12 - 24 months before these will be replaced.

Find the mini 9 to be incredibly useful - for travel it's so darn small, use it as a media player - web browser, wife always has one under the bed for facebook kids hardly ever get to use theirs!!!! and as a work unit is just fine, lives with excel, word & outlook can't praise them enough - I do wish for a bigger screen but 12 months ago anything bigger had lower screen res so was worse not better than the mini 9.
  (#17) Old
Default 01-23-2010, 05:48 AM

I have two minis one for the siblings who wanted a laptop and did not want to purchase a laptop for them so a mini was perfect since it was not that much for one.

And my mini that I carry to school since I do not want to take my m6400 to school and out since it is way more expensive and heavy then the mini. And a mini is easier to carry then a 17inch mobile work station .

Vostro A90 2GB RAM/16 GB SSD/16GB SDHC/0.3 Web Cam/Bluetooh/10.6.2/NBI 0.8.3/8-Cell battery
  (#18) Old
Default My reasons... - 01-24-2010, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by V1admir View Post
Hey All,

Just curious-- I see a lot of signatures on this forum that show people owning 2, 3, or even 4 or more Minis. Are these usually for other family members, or all for singular personal use? If personal use, how do you usually have these things set up-- interconnected in some way? Each dedicated for a certain task? As they can't really work as dedicated servers, it seems, or rendering powerhouses or gaming machines it seems like 4 netbooks, regardless of RAM would still be 4 netbooks, albiet really cool netbooks.

Just wondering if I'm missing some opportunity to create an interconnected four-mini powerhouse or something.

I traded a tablet (that I didn't use) for one, and the other was a great deal (NEW for $225 shipped), so I couldn't pass it up.

I use one (the 10v) as a backup to a laptop that I run 24/7. I use the other (A90) to play with, experiment with, even put a custom Mac OS X - XP Theme on it, and will probably use it if I need to go somewhere and be connected (its a bit smaller and lighter than the 10v).

Those are my reasons.........
  (#19) Old
Default 01-27-2010, 07:29 AM

I have 2. I needed a second power brick (to keep at work), and a second battery is always nice, and if you buy those separately, you've spent a good portion of the price of a second mini. (I only got the 4 gb drive in the second one, to save money.)

As a bonus, I lend out the second one to houseguests sometimes, and it's a different color, and has a year less wear and tear if I feel like swapping my drive to it for fashion reasons. ;-)

« How do you access the restore partition on a Mini 9? | Stupid Q on SD slot on Mini9/Vostro A90 »