Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Looking to Buy Mini - 03-20-2009, 04:44 AM

Hey All,
I'm looking to buy a Dell Mini 9 with the following specs:

OPERATING SYSTEM Ubuntu Linux version 8.04.1
HARD DRIVE 64GB Solid State Drive
BLUETOOTH OPTIONS Built-in Bluetooth 2.1 capability
INTEGRATED WEBCAM Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam

Reason I chose these specs and Linux is because it seems like you can only build a 2GB w/ 64GB SSD with Linux. Will I have any issues replacing Linux with XP once I receive it. I'd rather just get it already fully loaded and not have to wait for an outside source for memory nor ssd...

Thanks in Advance.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Looking to Buy Mini - 03-20-2009, 04:56 AM

Nope, XP will load up just fine. Save your cash and get the ubuntu setup and upgrade at home.

It's a ridiculous Microsoft licensing issue as to why you can't get a big ssd with an xp build. Don't worry about it.

to save a few more bucks, you can get the build with 512k ram and get a 2gb chip for cheaper online later too.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Looking to Buy Mini - 03-20-2009, 05:31 AM

Just regarding dell ordering/shipping speeds-- they seem to be somewhat slow. So, if you haven't ordered the Mini yet and the major reason for not wanting to use third-party SSD or RAM is because you don't want to wait for them to arrive-- if you order the RAM and SSD from NewEgg or a like distributor on the same day you order a (smaller/cheaper) Mini 9--(possibly from the Dell Outlet store and hence saving lots of money!) you'll probably receive the 3rd party parts either the same day as the mini or just a day or two afterwards. Just a thought. Installation of both a new SSD and a new RAM stick are also both very simple. Good luck!

M9 | Ross Perot skin (AUTOGRAPHED!) | 16GB | 2GB RAM | Win3.1
M9 | Meta "Fingerprinted Mini" skin | 32GB | 1GB RAM | Win 98SE
M9 | Mirrored skin (fyi: scanning a mirror doesn't work)| 64GB SSD | 2GB RAM | DOS
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Looking to Buy Mini - 03-20-2009, 06:46 AM

i just saw a 2gb/64gb ubuntu in the outlet, i grabbed it, put it in my cart to check the specs, no camera or bluetooth for 319$. i removed it and it sat there for a good two or three minutes before someone picked it up.

« anyone know of an accurate Battery Meter w/ time remaining? | Dellmini9's video cards? »