Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Stripping Out XP Pro Features? - 03-18-2009, 03:11 AM

I use a program called XPlite that can strip features from an existing XP installation. The free version will let you remove a lot of features, while the Pro version lets you remove even more. I'm not sure if this lets you remove as much as nLite does as I've never used nLite, but this program works well for my needs. Here's a link to their site:
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Stripping Out XP Pro Features? - 03-18-2009, 06:15 AM

To be clear about the keys you can use OEM keys on other machines. You paid for the key when you bought the computer.
However you do need an unbranded OEM disk.

If you want to use nLite but are unsure of what exactly to remove then you can do this:

1. Acquire a copy of the TinyXP ISO file (it is illegal to use, however you are not going to use it)
2. Follow eXPerience's (person who compiled TinyXP) on how to extract the desired XP iso configuration you think you would like
3. Then extract it.
------Now we are using nLite---------
4. Locate the extracted Tiny Version of XP and open in in nLite
5. Select Components and hit 'Next'
6. Expand and take screen shots of the components (the TinyXP configuration you are staring at has had components removed)
7. Now open your legal copy of XP and take out what whatever components are not in the TinyXP component screenshots

(IMPORTANT NOTE! do not remove the OOBE Out Of Box Experience Otherwise you cannot activate your copy of windows. However nLite states that Corporate copies of XP do not need to be activated. So if you have a corporate copy
then you can remove the OOBE)
--NOTE--You may also want to keep some other components like the firewall and windows update among others. These components are removed from TinyXP because they help lower ram and hdd usage, and help eliminate WGA issues.

8. Now that the dangerous part is over change any other options, tweaks you may like. (I especially suggest the UXTheme patch and TCP patch.)

9. Create you new nLited Iso and install.

10. Delete TinyXP because you are done with the examination and educational experience and because TinyXP is illegal to use. I'm not sure if it is illegal to have a copy (could be) but it is illegal to use.

Hope that helps you,

(#13) Old
Default Re: Stripping Out XP Pro Features? - 03-18-2009, 06:18 AM

(#14) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to mcm95403
Default Re: Stripping Out XP Pro Features? - 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM

For the person who posted about "stripping down XP Pro and making it XP Home", no that's not what I did. I removed all of the junk that I never use like language support for every country in the world, Netware networking components, wallpapers, screen savers and a lot of other fluff. My complete install of XP Pro (with Service Pack 3 slipstreamed) with a 300 meg swap file, Avast professional, VLC Media Player, Live Messenger, and MS Word is using 2.17 gigs of drive space and only 34 processes running, using just 247 megs of RAM to run (and that's with Avast running!).

Stripping out all of the junk in the OS makes it respond much quicker because the registry is smaller and there is less muck to wade through. If you've spent much time doing fresh OS installs on desktops then you know how fast they are before you get all the software installed on them and how much all that extra software slows them down when they are finished being built. This is the same thing, we're just starting with a leaner OS.

I just used nLite to build a VM for one of our sales guys here at work. He had been complaining that the VMware machines we already had were too big (8.5 gigs) and took too long to copy over the network. My nLite'd XP Pro that I built for him in Virtual PC is 1.1 gigs. Still needs our software installed, which will add another 500 megs or so, but still, FAR superior to a standard install.

Most of my QA software testing job is building Virtual Machines in Microsoft Hyper-V, so I have a lot of experience with this. I'm transitioning over to nLite'd build for everything we do just to reduce deployment times and also to (easily) include useful shortcuts in context menus since nLite does that for you - things like direct links to administrative tools, etc.

« Difference between reading and writing speeds? | What the Dickens?! (Dell UK Factory Outlet) »