Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Your 'final' thoughts - OSX? - 03-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Hey, there's this awesome new site called Google. OK, fine here are some answers for you.

Originally Posted by Brewster
Just wondering what a retail copy of Leopard costs. Never used a Mac before. Is it really worth the expense of buying a retail OS?
How else are you going to get a copy of Leopard? Amazon sells it for $109.

Okay - I downloaded and watched the video noted above. VERY interesting. Now I'm wondering what if any of my needed applications are available for OSX. First and foremost - either Streets & Trips or Delorme Road Atlas. Gotta have one of the other ... so anyone know if either is available for OSX?
Unfortunately, no. Road atlas software seems to be a weak spot for Mac OS X. Perhaps this will be a sufficient alternative?

Otherwise, you can always use VMWare Fusion or Parallels to run a Windows virtual machine, so you can run your Windows-only applications within Mac OS X.
For email, my app of choice has been Thunderbird, and Firefox2 for the web. I gather neither will run on OSX - so what is the alternative? I understand safari is the choice for browsers. Is it fully CSS2 compliant? (unlike any version of IE - which is a non-issue here anyway)
Thunderbird and Firefox are both available for Mac OS X. Or you can use the Apple-supplied alternatives, Safari and Apple Mail.

The guy that did the video named a lot of applications he was using that I have NO knowledge of. He mentioned ripping DVD's. I currently use Magic DVD Copy for ripping on my XP desktop. What is the OSX alternative?
There are lots of free and paid tools for ripping DVD's. Here are a few to get you started.
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Your 'final' thoughts - OSX? - 03-18-2009, 09:57 AM

Love it, everything works well. My only complaint is watching hulu videos, it sometimes get choppy. The dell mini 9 seems to be the perfect netbook for this application.

Dell Mini 9 | OSX 1.5.6 | A04 bios | 250gb WD Passport USB | G.skill 2gb DDR2
  (#13) Old
Send a message via AIM to clymans Send a message via Yahoo to clymans
Default Re: Your 'final' thoughts - OSX? - 03-18-2009, 06:36 PM

I have been involved in Windows support at either the server or desktop level for about 16 years. I have been an M$ bigot for that time due to the old axiom that you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you. That being said, I am in the market for a MacBook now. It started with my new iPhone last year, but loading OS X on my Mini 9 sold me.

OS X is smoother than either XP or Windows 7 on my system (IMO) and seems ideally suited for a netbook with limited resources. It doesn't bat an eye at running apps from the SD card, boot times are way faster than windows, and it just feels snappier than Windows XP or 7 all around. I am running some of the beta Dell EFI code, but it does make just about all the hardware in the system work as well as needed to make me happy. Sleep and AutoSleep seem to be issues, but I rarely run on battery and almost always shut down when I am not using the system.

In addition to the above reasons, I am thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to learn a new OS. If you're the type that likes to play around with technology, this is a great opportunity to learn something new without really sacrificing much(if any) functionality or app support. I've quickly found that most windows apps have a free alternative in the Mac world that does the job just as well.

I would do the install and then switch back if you don't like it. I've had the factory load of XP home, Xp Pro, Windows 7 and OS X all on my system in the 6 months I've had it. It is a great toy and easy to swap OSes or even dual boot.

Black Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.5.7 | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB STEC SSD | 1.3 Webcam | Bluetooth | 16 GB Class 6 SDHC | A05 BIOS | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: ON | Dell EFI 1.1
  (#14) Old
Default Re: Your 'final' thoughts - OSX? - 03-23-2009, 02:37 PM

Well, i'm about to order my system. Dell mini 9 16GB Stock SSD 2GB RAM and i'll ghost the linux OS then install OSX.
Should be a good little system hen it gets here. I take it the waiting time for delivery here in the UK is going to be around 10 days.

(#15) Old
Default Re: Your 'final' thoughts - OSX? - 03-26-2009, 08:22 PM

It is great. Everything works well, just like a real Mac. I have been using a hacintosh for years and this is the easiest and one of the most complete Mac OS integration I've seen.

Few things.

1) MS Office works well, but bit slow. I use iWorks and it runs faster and reads most (if not all) of the Office files.
2) No problem with sleep and wake-up. One minor issue with the system sleep. This issue does not exist with screen sleep. But if you try to restart after sleep, DM9 does not fully complete the restart cycle and hangs. Shutdown works OK. Solution. either no sleep between restarts or no restart.
3) Hulu play: mine studders. But if I reduce the quality to medium or low, everything works well. Screen is small and the decrease in quality does not seem to bother much.
4) I installed VMWare Fusion to run Windows on top of Mac OS X. It works well, but very slow.
5) I installed a touch screen and it works well, too.
6) Mine is dual boot with Mac OS X being a default. Bit tricky but very functional. If interested, check this out, Second post from the bottom is my summary.

Have fun.

2GB RAM, 64GB Runcore SDD, WinXP Home, Mac OS 10.5.6, touch screen, Dell 1505 a/b/g/n

« trouble installing Mac OS X on mini 9 | Hey guys some one help me out please. »