Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Flying with the mini... USB charging? - 03-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Okay, this is a dumb question... but I'm going to ask.

I'll be flying to Australia later this year and will be bringing a soon-to-be-purchased mini (osx!) wth me on the plane. In the economy cabin the seats have USB charging ports. I'm assuming this is for products such as ipods. But, is there a charger out there that could allow the mini to use the USB charging port? I doubt the current supplied is enough to help keep the mini afloat on a 15 hour flight, but just thought I'd ask.

otherwise, I guess I could use the usb charging port on the plane seat to power a small external HD so a collection of movies doesn't drain the mini. Anyone have any experience flying with the mini and keeping it going?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Flying with the mini... USB charging? - 03-13-2009, 07:06 PM

There is nowhere near enough current available from one of these ports. You'd then need a voltage converter to convert the 5V to 19V. A USB port can supply 500ma of current normally - 2.5W. The Mini wants 15-20 to run or charge. This is fine for MP3 players and the like but not a netbook.

Yes, you could use it to keep an external HD going, but you're still looking at no more than four hours for the Mini.

There are external LiIon batteries that would probably power the Mini for the whole flight. They go for about $100.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10

« mac office 2008 dell mini 9 issue | offering preconfigured Minis for $299.99 »