Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Memory Question - 03-09-2009, 03:13 PM

I just ordered my Mini 9 (1GB, 16 G flash) and was wondering if the 16G flash is enough memory. I am thinking about using a thumb drive for now but wanted to know what anyone thought about external hard drives and a good cheap one.

Thanks in advance, I will let you know when it comes in.....can't wait as I have a trip coming up and want to play.
  (#2) Old
Retired Mini user
Default Re: Memory Question - 03-09-2009, 03:19 PM

That depends on the operating system, what software you plan to load, etc. Some more details would help.

Getting an iPad
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Memory Question - 03-09-2009, 06:56 PM

using XP, would like Word and maybe a game or two, watch movies? Don't have it in had yet and not sure of the limitations/capabilities.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Memory Question - 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM

I own the 16gb ssd, have loaded microsoft office, and acrobat 7 on it among other lesser programs and still have 6 gb of 14gb left. I have purchased a SDHC ($30, 8gb, class 6, kingston) card as my document and media storage and have set it up as a drive (see other threads/guides) and have my documents set to go there, and use g-mail as another online storage/file transfer option (again, see guides section on this site). All work reasonably well. i have also used threads on the site to unload some crapware and quicken the startup process, but I haven't nlited the XP operating system or anything...I also bought the 2gb ram and eliminated the page file and hibernation (again, on suggestions/instructions from people here). I am no computer I have reached my technical limits (except for a future runcore, perhaps) on customization and still have plenty of space.

IMHO....If you don't have 10,000 songs and every photo you have ever taken loaded, (or do some specialized computing/graphics type job)...the 16 gb ssd should be reasonable (and you can get up to a 32 gb sdhc card to permanently reside in your card reader...just in case).

« No more XP for new mini 9s? (nevermind, I'm out of it) | 32 gig RunCores in stock for $131.14 »