Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Own any other sub notebooks. - 10-24-2008, 01:30 AM

I have been a fan of mini/sub note books for a long time. When I was in school in the 90's I use to use a HP OmniBook 300. When the internal harddrive died I replaced it with a Toshiba Libretto. Then they fell out of fashion.

Now the Dell mini, of course I Have one, can't wait to see what comes out in another 10 years. But for now based on my previous models we will se more power, storage and larger screens and even touch screens. We may even seen docking stations for fixed external devices but they will never get too powerful to truely replace a regular laptop.

Mini 9, OS OSX 10.6.1, 16GB SSD, 2GB Ram, BIOS A04, NBI 0.8.3 RC3
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Own any other sub notebooks. - 10-24-2008, 01:57 PM

I think larger screens (especially anything over 10") really defeats the whole purpose of a netbook.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Own any other sub notebooks. - 10-24-2008, 02:33 PM

does anyone remember the HP 200LX a pocket sized Dos machine. that was a true sub notebook. Some could even get windows 3.x running on it. It used word perfect and MS word 5.1 as word processors. For all it's limitations i wrote several essays while waiting in doctor's offices. it dies when they brought out Windows CE. Windows CE never had the interest for me. though some had a Dos emulator for it. it had a huge internet following with several boards dedicated to programs and hacks for it. I wanted the libretto badly and watched many examples which i never could justify the price of. The Dell mini is the first sub notebook that i have found with a reasonable price. Now i understand that there are other models the may even be cheaper. there is one problem for me. the Dell mini screen is about the limit minimum size screen i can anylonger see. I got out the old HP 200lx and i had trouble with the tiny letters. my eyes have declared that no more can i follow any more down sizing. I would like to see Apple come out with a very small unit. maybe a downsized airbook. or see more work on puting OSX on a Dell mini.

ken r

« AIM and My WEB cam | Average CPU Temp for mini 9 »