Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Mini9 + OSX Leopard dual boot? - 02-28-2009, 02:01 AM

I just ordered a Mini9, Obsidian, bluetooth, 1.3mx cam, external cd/dvd, 1gig ram, 16 gb SSD, etc. This thing is not scheduled to be shipped until 3/17 and I'd like to be ready for it.

I've already found posts I needed to know on upgrading to 2gb ram and have downloaded all the drivers via another post, so that's all ready.

Largely due to an article on Gizmodo, I'm considering playing with mac OSX Leopard - preferably in a dual boot config. Has anyone here pulled that off satisfactorily yet? The Gizmodo article only covers substituting OSX for XP - which I'm not sure I want to do.

Also, can anyone comment on the need to wipe the Dell installed disk clean and reload a fresh XP install? I do have a slip-streamed XP/SP2 (Corp) disk I used on my home built desktop, but don't know if that will be too big for the 16gb SSD. I figured I could just delete the adobe reader crap (I use Foxit reader exclusively), the MS Works (does anybody actually use that?), and I suppose the requisite Dell garbage I had on my old Inspiron 2650?

Glad I found this forum - a wealth of good info and savvy members!

Update ...

I'm rethinking this deal right now and have cancelled my order until I decide. I originally decided to follow the lead here and replace the 1gb ram I originally ordered with a 512 and then go to newegg for a 2gb for $20. Makes much more sense to me. Then I decided to omit the Bluetooth since I couldn't think of anything I could use it for.

Now I'm seeing a LOT of posts on here with serious problems with these systems (so many refurbs on the Dell site already?), and I'm a little gun shy. Went and looked at the Acer One, which has almost identical specs + a 160gb HDD for only $358 - almost $100 less than the Dell I priced out.

[thinking .... thinking ...]
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Mini9 + OSX Leopard dual boot? - 02-28-2009, 01:59 PM

I setup Ubuntu and Windows for awhile, but the 16gb memory quickly becomes a dual boot issue.
I thought I read something about 10gb's for OS X which would really shut you down from adding things.

« Torn between 16/32GB SDHC or External Drive | can the mini 9 be used as a media streamer ? »