Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default Re: Nlite --- Slimmer xp? - 10-10-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by UncleRunkle
Originally Posted by boatillo
Gonna have to wait, I am doing the same - nlite slipstream XP Pro SP3 with drivers onto a USB thumbdrive to install Stupid drivers disk, why aren't you on dell's site!
Not they are actually on Dell's website...they are hidden for some reason though. Go here first:

Then select a different category (like applications) and then go back and select all for the category. THEN all the drivers show up on Dell's website. Unfortunately I created an NLited XP PRO install before I saw this so I will have to go back and slip in those drivers into the config. I haven't done any of that yet...are the drivers easy to extract? If not, I think I have a couple tricks up my sleeve for those of you using the standard dell installation. (Export those drivers)

Thank you very much for that. I'm getting my mini sometime today. I'll probably throw my nLited version on it sometime this weekend.
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Nlite --- Slimmer xp? - 10-22-2008, 04:35 AM

Once my Mini arrives I plan on wiping ubuntu from it and installing an nlited XP with SP3 slipstreamed. I figure this way I can get rid of the languages, other keyboards and useless windows apps (I use Notepad++,, Media Player Classic, Powertoy Calc etc. so no need for WMP, Notepad, Calculator, Windows Messenger etc). I might also remove most of the drivers but I'm going to be very careful with this because of the strange driver dependencies in XP that a previous poster mentioned. To be honest if I remove too much I have no problems just starting from scratch and reburning a new nlite image. While this may not speed up the computer it will certainly save a lot of space and make the whole windows install/configuration step a lot simpler. I'll let you know how it goes!

« White minis at best buy | Which Warranty? »