Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Torn between 16/32GB SDHC or External Drive - 02-26-2009, 05:18 AM

I have the 8gb SSD and want to be able to install programs on it without reducing free space from the SSD. I heard running programs through the SDHC is a bit slow. How much faster would it be to run a program through an external harddrive? Also how can I tell how many megapixels my webcam is?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Torn between 16/32GB SDHC or External Drive - 02-26-2009, 05:48 AM

An external drive will be much faster. Class 6 SDHC is 6MB a second, which is frankly not that fast. An external hard disk would be at least 10 times fast, if not more. Good usb thumb drives are around 30MB a second.

Mini 9, 32 GB Runcore SSD, ATT mercury broadband, 2 GB memory, Type 11 OSX
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Torn between 16/32GB SDHC or External Drive - 02-26-2009, 08:40 AM

who wants to plug in a external drive to run programs? i must say running outlook off the sdhc does suck though. i cant wait to get a 64gb runcore to put all my apps on and then use the sdhc for data.
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Torn between 16/32GB SDHC or External Drive - 02-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Lots of people (myself included) use the SDHC for my docs including music etc and then run all the apps from the SSD. Alot of people also have alot of sucess in running small apps from the SDHC. Great thing with the SDHC is you don't even know it's there and you cant leave it behind.

Oh and ive found that 16Gb gave me a good compromise between size/cost/speed! Class 6 32Gb arn't cheap!
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Torn between 16/32GB SDHC or External Drive - 02-27-2009, 04:50 AM

is cost a factor here?
  (#6) Old
Default Re: Torn between 16/32GB SDHC or External Drive - 02-27-2009, 05:34 AM

If it were me I would definitely fork over the dough to get a bigger SSd and do it that way. I have a 32G SSD and I am quite pleased with it. I am able to install the programs that I use the most and I have a u3 drive that I use for programs that I don't use all the time like Open Office. I am well under 5G with everything that I need installed to include the OS but this leaves plenty of room if I go on vacation or something and need to store pictures, videos, etc on it and don't have to worry about carrying a SDHC card with me (I am security conscious). I am just paranoid about someone taking off with the card or it accidentally falling out. I care a secure 320G external HDD also that is small and fits well in my bag. I mean after all, a guy can't have too much storage! The external HDD has all my media though, like mp3s and videos for my Ipod in the event that I want to change it up. I only have a 8G Ipod. Well, enough with my rambling. I hope through all that you get some useful information or insight as to what you should do!

Mini 9 - Obsidian Black - mini XP Pro
32G SSD - 2G ram - 1.3M webcam
  (#7) Old
Default Re: Torn between 16/32GB SDHC or External Drive - 02-28-2009, 02:05 AM

16GB SD cards are cheap and work great for media storage. I have a 16GB SSD, so no issues yet with space for programs. Only using about 1/2 of the SSD space and have all the programs I need... for now. External HDs are very cool however it's much easier to rationalize blowing 20-30 bucks on a SD card than a 100 on a HD. Especially when the same size HD will be 1/2 the price by Xmas. Guess it all depends on $$$, how much space you need, and what programs you want to run.

Friar Nurgle

- Dell Mini9 - Refurb - Black - XP - 16GB ssd - 2GB ram - 1.3MP cam - BT - 16 GB sd card -
  (#8) Old
Default Re: Torn between 16/32GB SDHC or External Drive - 02-28-2009, 12:21 PM

I think it comes down to the apps you're running. I've only been doing it for a day, but I just installed the suite to my SDHC card (with some other programs added on) and most of the programs are pretty snappy (they're designed to run quickly from removable flash storage). With a bit of searching, you can get just about any type (if not exact title) of software you need on your system and be able to save a lot of SSD space in the process.

I'm actually a fan of using PortableApps even on my home computer, since everything is contained in one folder, if I need to move something or I have a serious crash, I just move one folder and all the settings and data go with it, even to other computers.

As for personal files and documents, I plan to use Dropbox to keep my currently relevant documents up to date across all my systems, and a home VPN (Probably with Hamachi since the XP VPN doesn't feel...complete) to access the other 200GB of files (not including music or videos) that I can't store on my mini, no matter where I am, as long as there's an internet connection. I'll probably use rsync to back up my Mini9 on a nightly basis, since I have plenty of space for a backup copy of all my Mini's data (I just used DeltaCopy instead of setting up Cygwin manually). If you need more security, don't save your VPN password, and use TrueCrypt to create a virtual encrypted drive (EncryptOnClick is great for individual files and folders).

My vote? Get a nice big and fast SSD for very large files or big programs, and toss in a 16GB SDHC card for all your documents/music/videos and very small apps. Be selective about what you store on the SDHC but set up a VPN/SSH/SFTP connection to get to the stuff that doesn't need to be on there full time.

« Home server? | Mini9 + OSX Leopard dual boot? »