Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Default Re: #1 Complaint about Mini 9 is...? - 02-25-2009, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by TD99
Originally Posted by WolfKeeper
Dude, you're gettin' a Dell! :mrgreen:
He looks just a bit too emphatic, but I think I'll be grinning just as wide when I finally get my mini!
  (#12) Old
Default Re: #1 Complaint about Mini 9 is...? - 02-25-2009, 01:42 AM

Or maybe that is what he looked like right after he scored some weed but before he was arrested. ... A9659C8B63

Dell Mini 9. White. XP. 1.3 Webcam. 2GB Ram. 64GB RunCore SSD
  (#13) Old
Default Re: #1 Complaint about Mini 9 is...? - 02-25-2009, 01:44 AM

Keyboard! Otherwise, it is the perfect netbook.

Obsidian black Mini 9: 1GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, bluetooth, no cam, XP. Dell Outlet.
  (#14) Old
Default Re: #1 Complaint about Mini 9 is...? - 02-25-2009, 03:15 AM

I can live with the keyboard, since it's easy enough to remap keys. So my chief complaint is that the screen isn't just a 1/4 inch taller. That little bit of extra screen would make this a perfect computer in my opinion.
  (#15) Old
Default Re: #1 Complaint about Mini 9 is...? - 02-25-2009, 03:20 AM

Definitely the keyboard. If you do any typesetting with TeX/LaTeX, you know how
important the \ is. Having to press Fn first stinks. Other than that, the Dell Mini
does everything well enough.

... That sounded rather depressing. I really love this little machine. The only other
netbook I would consider buying over it is one that doesn't exist (Apple netbook).

Dell Mini 9 - Black, 2gb RAM, 16gb SSD, webcam, Ubuntu 9.10 & Windows XP
  (#16) Old
Default Re: #1 Complaint about Mini 9 is...? - 02-25-2009, 02:30 PM

#1 complaint. Keyboard
#2 - mushy trackpad keys.
#3 - screen resolution.

The keyboard for all the same reasons everyone else is quoting. I've been messing around with an HP Mini 100. OMG is the keyboard so much nicer !

I hate the fact that the trackpad keys give you no tactile feedback at all. But that's me - I personally hate the 'tap for mouse clicks' option because I always click on accident when scrolling around a page. So having a set of trackpad buttons that do provide some feedback would be nice.

And oh how I ever so much wish there was a little more resolution to the screen. Not much, just enough so standard program screens wouldn't have to scroll around. To be able to get 1024x768 would have been the best thing ever (as far as running other software) .

But it's all minor. Having the Mini and being able to do all the wonderful stuff is good enough for me.

Black Mini 10v | Win 7 - Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot
  (#17) Old
Send a message via MSN to nollie
Default Re: #1 Complaint about Mini 9 is...? - 02-25-2009, 02:54 PM

Not all the keyboard for me is all that bad - just the tiny right shift, /? and apostrophe keys really get on my nerves sometimes.

My #1 gripe though is accidentally tapping the trackpad whilst typing, causing the cursor to select an entirely different section of what I am typing. Happens at least one every couple of minutes if I am typing for any length of time and it's annoying the crap out of me sometimes. Especially when writing long essays.

Dell Mini 9 - 64GB Runcore - 2GB RAM - Windows 7 - 16GB SD - Jolicloud Beta
  (#18) Old
Default Re: #1 Complaint about Mini 9 is...? - 02-25-2009, 03:12 PM

The screen not going back far enough on its hinge. I have to tilt the whole unit to get the cleanest view of the screen.

Otherwise, I love it and will continue to do so until a tablet version comes out.
  (#19) Old
Default Re: #1 Complaint about Mini 9 is...? - 02-25-2009, 05:04 PM

Keyboard. I, too, wish it went to the edge of the base like the other brands (and the Mini 10). One of the reasons it is like that is for structural rigidity. Maybe if I drop it (again), I'll be glad it is as strong as it is.

I bought my first one in January to use up some Dell Gift Cards....fully loaded even with Mobile Broadband. That's still sealed, waiting for the true Mini 10 to emerge and then I may sell it. BUT, I couldn't resist $289 for previously ordered new with 1.3MP webcam and bluetooth. So I got that. THEN, I saw the same thing for $219. So I got that for my son....with the proviso he used it to LEARN Linux and not just watch YouTube on it. I contacted Dell about the difference in price for the same thing and after the usual run around, they DID give me $30 back. Better than nothing.

The Mini 9 is quite a slick little netbook. It truly exceeded my expectations. I have two really tweaked out M1330s (a VERY nice laptop, I might add) but unless its for real engineering work they've rarely been opened in the last month or so.

Anyway, I think I answered your US-INTL keyboards are due tomorrow so that may help. Other than that, the Mini 9 is fantastic. The two we're using came with A04 BIOS so Windows 7 installs and runs flawlessly. NONE of the issues mentioned on here (yet...LOL).

XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#20) Old
Default Re: #1 Complaint about Mini 9 is...? - 02-25-2009, 09:13 PM

Am I really the only one most bummed that there's no official 6 or 8 cell battery?

« where can i buy 32gb runcore ssd? | No longer working diagnostics after ubuntu 8.10 installation »