Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Considering Buying a Basic Mini 9 and then Upgrading It... - 10-21-2008, 05:26 AM

Hi All,

I've been looking for a good netbook for quite sometime now and I think the Dell Mini 9 might be the right choice for me given it's features, pricepoint, support, and modability. My plan is to get the most basic Mini 9 configuration (Ubuntu, 512 RAM, 4 GB Drive) and then upgrade it with a 2 GB RAM module from newegg and a 32 GB SSD from This should cost me $459.52 for the laptop itself as I have a 7% education discount (includes a 3 year warranty, bluetooth, and the 1.3 MP camera) plus $100 for the SSD, $27 for the 2 GB RAM module, and $16 for an 8 GB SDHC.

All told that comes to $602.52 plus tax and shipping for a Mini 9 with a 3 year warranty, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB SSD, 8 GB SDHC, bluetooth and the 1.3 MP camera which to me is still a very good price. Once it arrives I plan on wiping Ubuntu and installing XP Pro. I can shave a bit more off the cost if I can sell my 512 MB RAM module and/or 4 GB SSD on ebay or something.

Anyway, just looking for feedback on this plan. I realize the mydigitaldiscount SSDs are backordered to late November but the preliminary ship date for the laptop itself is showing as 11/20 anyway so I'm not too worried. Thoughts?

EDIT: One thing that gives me pause it the pending availability of dual core atoms that I've been hearing about. It'd be a shame if I bought this thing and then they come out with a dual core atom version like two months later! Any word on that and if/when Dell might be offering it in the Mini 9?
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Considering Buying a Basic Mini 9 and then Upgrading It... - 10-30-2008, 12:49 AM

OLD post I know... but look at the dell outlet for brand new for less!

« tick .... tock | 8 hour battery life on the Samsung Netbook (apparently??) »