Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old

Default 01-25-2017, 05:35 PM

I agree from a going forward standpoint that spending money on the mini does not make a lot of sense. However, I still use mine a ton. Lubuntu 16.10 runs great. I like the fact that it has an actual keyboard and does not have a fan and is quiet at night.
  (#12) Old

Default 01-27-2017, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I personally have a great fondness for the Mini 9 myself. It served me long and well as a lightweight traveling computer (I don't like answering e-mail on a tablet). At this point, I think the real strain on the Mini stems from how complex and resource-intensive the Web has become.

I'd still love to keep the Mini productive as long as it has any life in it, even I can't use it any longer for the purpose intended when I bought it. I'm experimenting with lightweight Linux distros to see what would work best, after which I'll install a bunch of educational software and give it to the kids next door to use as their first computer.
  (#13) Old

Default 01-30-2017, 11:44 AM

If you need more storage and don't want to throw much money at an old netbook then maybe have a look at the Mini PCIe dual Micro SD adapters.

I have one in the WWAN slot (had to solder the mPCIe slot in myself) and it houses two spare 32gb cards, it is picked up in the boot menu too although I haven't managed to get Puppy on it yet, the Dell apparently sees the mPCIe adapter first and refuses to boot from a USB stick with it installed.

Dell Mini 9, 2gb ram, 16gb STEC, 2x32gb internal Micro SD
  (#14) Old

Default 01-30-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minitom View Post
I agree from a going forward standpoint that spending money on the mini does not make a lot of sense. However, I still use mine a ton. Lubuntu 16.10 runs great. I like the fact that it has an actual keyboard and does not have a fan and is quiet at night.
Hi minitom,

I was actually using mine up until this year when I found that the latest LTS release of Ubuntu required 2GB of RAM (I only have 1GB installed in mine). I've got Lubuntu 16.04 on it now, and an configuring it to be a kids' machine, as I think it can no longer keep up with modern Web sites, even though I've tried lightweight browsers like Qupzilla and Midori to compensate. May I ask what the config of your Mini is? I suspect that you've got 2GB in yours. Also, what exactly are you using it for?

On a (slightly) different note, I'm running WattOS on a Latitude 2120 with an N550 chip. It's doing a lot better than the Mini is, although with the same resolution as Mini (1024x600), it has some display problems that the Mini has. It seems that most distros these days work best with a minimum resolution of 1024x768. Netbooks seem to be a niche part of the computing world that even lightweight Linux distros are no longer optimizing for.
  (#15) Old

Default 01-31-2017, 03:58 AM

mine has 2gb memory and a 32gb stec harddrive. very cheap to upgrade. i use qupzilla, but also use opera. i use it to read and research - no flash.

kodi does work good to watch video.

« Multitouch touchpad | - »