Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Fix for scratch in grey plastic near touchpad? - 02-12-2009, 02:42 AM

I just noticed a small scratch near the lower right corner between the touchpad and the Intel and Windows stickers. I think a little touch-up paint would fix it, as the scratch is not very deep. The other alternative I've seen online is the polishing kits that people use to remove scratches from Ipods. Can anyone offer advice? Thanks.
  (#2) Old

Send a message via AIM to Digital_716 Send a message via MSN to Digital_716
Default Re: Fix for scratch in grey plastic near touchpad? - 02-12-2009, 02:52 AM

You can buy a skin to cover that area
http://www.istyles.com/netbook-dell-...8_491_500.html

(#3) Old

Default Re: Fix for scratch in grey plastic near touchpad? - 02-12-2009, 03:21 AM

I understand how scratching a brand new laptop would be upsetting, but I would force myself to just ignore it. The Mini is a tool, not a work of art. It's like worrying about getting your hammer scratched.

That said, I might try a plastic scratch remover you can find in auto supply stores, if the scratch is superficial. If it is deep I'd try using a scale model paint, using a fine brush or toothpick as an applicator, then polish with a plastic scratch remover to blend in the fill.

Obsidian black Mini 9: 1GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, bluetooth, no cam, XP. Dell Outlet.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Fix for scratch in grey plastic near touchpad? - 02-12-2009, 05:21 AM

I would just leave it because I think if I tried to add any type of paint to it to cover it up, it would just make it look worse.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Fix for scratch in grey plastic near touchpad? - 02-12-2009, 08:40 AM

I run to work (kept-so-far new year's resolution) with my Mini in a backpack... it doesn't move around much but enough to have made literally dozens of small scratches on the grey plastic. To me, it's a tool and it's not ruined this way. But I can appreciate we all have a different perspective on our Minis.

Black Mini 9: 64Gb Runcore SSD, Windows XP Home, 2Gb RAM, 1.3MP webcam, Bluetooth
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Fix for scratch in grey plastic near touchpad? - 02-12-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio8
polishing kits that people use to remove scratches from Ipods.
I'm amazed that enough people are sad enough to want a kit to polish their ipods and amused that others have set up on-line businesses to take their money.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Fix for scratch in grey plastic near touchpad? - 02-14-2009, 02:26 AM

i personally like to take extra care of my stuff mainly to maintain a high resale value.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Fix for scratch in grey plastic near touchpad? - 02-16-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmeister
I understand how scratching a brand new laptop would be upsetting, but I would force myself to just ignore it. The Mini is a tool, not a work of art. It's like worrying about getting your hammer scratched.

That said, I might try a plastic scratch remover you can find in auto supply stores, if the scratch is superficial. If it is deep I'd try using a scale model paint, using a fine brush or toothpick as an applicator, then polish with a plastic scratch remover to blend in the fill.
I agree that the Mini is a tool, but I bought a nice looking hammer just the same. I have a skin on mine from www.decalgirl.com.

Mini9, Obsidian, 1.3Mp, 1Gb, 32Gb SSD, 8Gb SDHC, Bluetooth, Ibex 8.10
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Fix for scratch in grey plastic near touchpad? - 02-18-2009, 04:17 AM

I never put mine anywhere but in its padded bag because I don't want any scratches. I understand that scratches and marks don't bother some people, but they bother me. So if they bother someone else, I completely understand.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Fix for scratch in grey plastic near touchpad? - 02-18-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianed
I never put mine anywhere but in its padded bag because I don't want any scratches.
so you've bought a computer that you'll never use - why?

« Dealnews: $199 Ubuntu Mini 9 | Cange laptop case colour? »