Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#11) Old
Expert Member
Smile Re: Loose AC adapter connector? - 02-10-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by onetrueboo
I'll refrain for further lame innuendo

Please do.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#12) Old
Default Re: Loose AC adapter connector? - 05-09-2009, 06:55 PM

Back in the day, the power jacks were soldered directly to the motherboard. They were constantly broken by people stepping, sitting, hitting, kicking, yanking on the power cord while it was plugged into the laptop causing the jack to loosen or break. Once it gets bad enough the options are to resolder it or replace the motherboard. They are both expensive for labor if you cannot do it yourself, nevermind if you don't know how to solder.

Eventually they came up with the idea to remove the jack from the motherboard and simply run some wires to a connector on the motherboard so if the jack was ever broken it could be replaced without any pain to the motherboard. This is the case in the Mini 9.

As stated on the previous page, the jack is held down by a part of the frame. It is also held in place on both sides. Mine had some wiggle room when it arrived and it bugged the hell out of me. I pulled it apart and superglued it to the frame parts around it. There wasn't a lot of room, I had to apply the superglue with a sewing needle to really get it in there. It is perfectly solid now and feels like it should have. I would suggest for those who are going to attemp this that you try to find a superglue that is in gel form. This will prevent it from running all over the inside of your Mini.

I apologize for not having any pictures but if anyone would like a walkthrough on this please PM me !

Thanks !

Mini 9 - Kingston HyperX 2GB - 32GB Runcore - XP Home
  (#13) Old
Default 07-31-2009, 02:58 PM

I am thinking about attempting this procedure, but I have a quick question before I do.

would the heat from the mini ever make certain kinds of superglue turn liquid again? possibly running all over my board and ruining things?
  (#14) Old
Default 08-22-2009, 04:48 PM

so far so good. the jack is now "solid as a rock" ;-)
  (#15) Old
Default 08-27-2009, 02:19 AM

My connector has been loose from day one - not the male connector loose in the female (!) but the female connector fitting loose on the chassis. However, it has been 10 months and doesn't seem any worse. I'd even come to think that the play was built in to protect the connector or something.

Has anyone had one come right adrift? I'm hoping this is something that, while odd, won't have any operational downside.
  (#16) Old
Default 06-12-2010, 03:09 AM

My connector was nice and tight up until today when I tripped on the stupidly short AC cord, ripping it out of the laptop. I was wondering when this would finally happen. Thankfully everything still works perfectly but now my AC connector is loose (back and forth, not up and down.)

I was going to tear into my Mini and glue/solder it but it sounds like it is somewhat common and nothing to really worry about, so I think I'll leave it.

« A90 'Y' key issue | MeeGo on a Mini9?? »