Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Stretched XP Boot Screen - 02-06-2009, 05:45 PM

Ok, I've got dual boot XP and OSX - all working nice. Being a bit of a stickler, it does annoy me that the XP Boot Screen when loading is in a resolution of 640x480 and having a 1024x600 screen, the image appears stretched.

I know you can't change the resolution or size of the boot screen. There are various ways to edit the boot logo with software such as Bootskin xp and Boot Editor, but to be honest, I am not keen to use these, as I don't want any messing with the ntoskernel.exe etc and it can lead to an unbootable OS.....

The safest way to do it seems to be by running msconfig and add '/noguiboot' and '/bootlogo' to the BOOT.INI, then save your own bootlogo as "boot.bmp" in the Windows Directory. The bmp must be 640x480 in 16-color.

Now has anyone done this, or does anyone have a standard XP Bootscreen bmp file that they can post which has been squished up so that it appears normal on a stretched screen? I can try it myself but am not good at Image Editing and wouldn't know how to get the correct "squishing" for it to come out right. Also, is the loading bar underneath the logo going to be affected by this?

BTW if anyone is interested in a fix for the stretched OSX Apple on white screen at boot, I fixed mine by following this page. ... tretch-fix

Vodafone Dell Mini, Black, Windows 7 , 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD, HSDPA modem, BT, 1.3 MP Webcam

« Recommended Size of SSD | Taking my Dell Mini on a Cruise »