Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Possible work around for choppy flash video playback - 02-05-2009, 03:28 PM

I've been hovering over the buy button on a Mini 9 for a few days now. Just mulling it over in my head. One thing that's been bothering me is this choppy youtube playback that everyone has pretty much accepted is down to the inefficiencies of adobe's flash player, paired with the relatively low power Atom processor.

Everyone's worked out that if you stick the flv files from youtube into vlc then they play perfectly, so the obvious answer would be to use VLC as the embedded player of flv files in Firefox itself (sorry IE and Chrome users, no love for you here). It's been awhile since I did this and when I did it was under Linux, so I did some research and found the following link that works for both XP and Linux:

http://netsharc.wordpress.com/2007/03/3 ... e-via-vlc/

Now I've just followed his instructions on my work pc running XP, and while I get an error when I actually go to a youtube page, the videos still actually play fine and very smoothly. I'm putting the error I got down to my crappy work laptop, but it's irrelevant really as the videos still played very well.

I've not had time to try out an HD video yet, or Ubuntu, but there's every indication that it will work fine. The only downside I can see to using this method is that the video can't be streamed. You have to wait for it to load before it will start playing. Aside from that it's seamless and perfectly embedded.

Sorry if someone else has already reported this previously, I just thought it was worth mentioning in detail as I understand the issue of streaming videos to be quite frustrating to many Mini 9 owners.

Thanks for reading.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Possible work around for choppy flash video playback - 02-05-2009, 10:02 PM

Does this work with Hulu also?
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Possible work around for choppy flash video playback - 02-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Negative, only youtube.com with this paticular user script.

We really need an all round solution for this. It's the one thing stopping me buying a mini 9.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Possible work around for choppy flash video playback - 02-14-2009, 07:43 PM

I have tried hulu and youtube on my Dell Mini and have no issues. If I play hulu HD it will get a little choppy though.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Possible work around for choppy flash video playback - 02-14-2009, 09:16 PM

I have never experienced choppy video on standard definition youtube videos.

The problem is with high-definition videos. So just an FYI for those that don't have a Mini 9 and are curious about that.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Possible work around for choppy flash video playback - 02-15-2009, 09:32 AM

Hang on, I've never encountered said problems, even with HD... How strange...

Model: Dell Inspiron Mini 9
Memory: 1024 MB
SSD Size: 16 GB
Colour: Black
  (#7) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Re: Possible work around for choppy flash video playback - 02-16-2009, 02:43 PM

As far as hulu and youtube, as long as you install the latest flash crap from adobe, it should play with no problems. I have on occasion DL a couple videos in FLV format, I found FLV Player to be most useful and free. It plays all my FLV files with no problems on my mini-9. Actually I havent had any issues after doing a fresh install of XP and loading all the proper drivers. I'm guessing that sometimes the standard Dell install is a bit buggy. Good Luck to those that need it.

Dr Some-what Evil

Mini-9
STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#8) Old
Expert Member

Default Re: Possible work around for choppy flash video playback - 02-16-2009, 10:24 PM

I don't have these problems playing Hulu or FLVs or any of that stuff.

Inspiron Duo: Win7 Pro 32-Bit, Intel 6200 Wifi Upgrade
Former Inspiron Mini 9 Owner, Modder, Enthusiast
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Possible work around for choppy flash video playback - 02-18-2009, 04:14 AM

This may help some of you:

I was having trouble with video--Hulu, YouTube, other sites--on my desktop and notebook (but not with my Mini 9) and could not figure out what was wrong. I had the latest Flash player and everything else was in line just right. I was disconnecting and reconnecting my cable, changing my IP address, etc., but nothing really workied. Finally, I realized that my Java updater had stopped functioning. It seems pretty obvious to me that my security software blocked it--I have the same security software on both of those computers. I updated Java on both of them, and have had few problems since.

I have had no problems at all with video on my Mini 9.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Possible work around for choppy flash video playback - 03-04-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianed
This may help some of you:

I was having trouble with video--Hulu, YouTube, other sites--on my desktop and notebook (but not with my Mini 9) and could not figure out what was wrong. I had the latest Flash player and everything else was in line just right. I was disconnecting and reconnecting my cable, changing my IP address, etc., but nothing really workied. Finally, I realized that my Java updater had stopped functioning. It seems pretty obvious to me that my security software blocked it--I have the same security software on both of those computers. I updated Java on both of them, and have had few problems since.

I have had no problems at all with video on my Mini 9.

what about hd youtube vids??????

« wireless is not booting up the right way now | Anyone recieved their A90 512mb RAM 8GB SSD? »