Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default What are you using your mini 9 for? - 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM

What purpose does your mini 9 serve?

Mines basically going to save me some energy so I don't have boot up my huge PC every time I just want to get up to date with emails/facebook etc.

Also, it will be pretty handy for having guides/walkthroughs from the internet on display when Im playing games on my xbox!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: What are you using your mini 9 for? - 09-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Over two years ago I replaced my desktop with my first laptop (well - desktop replacement) in the form of a Dell XPS M170, to cater for portability between the home and work environment.
I have since upgraded to a newer model (XPS M1710), but now find myself only really using it at work for email, cross browser testing and storage of my local development projects.

As the main purpose is to replace that of a desktop, the XPS is quite bulky and can be awkward to carry around.

This is where I see the Mini 9 stepping in and due to it's size is ideal for transportation.

At the current time in the UK the only model available comes with a 16GB solid state hard drive, giving you roughly 14GB to play around with.

Although this is not great compared to what is available nowadays I don't intend to use it for storage, as external USB and the XPS will be used for this.

Basically, although I have not yet purchased the mini 9, I intend to very soon and use it as an extension to my current systems and not a replacement.
  (#3) Old
Send a message via MSN to Matt
Default Re: What are you using your mini 9 for? - 09-12-2008, 09:20 AM

I got my original Dell Inspiron 710m about a year ago to use for work purposes and take with me when I go away places but in reality I never really used the laptop, and taking it away was a hassle because of the weight of the laptop itself combined with my Dynax 7D DSLR in one bag.

Now that I am going backpacking in Australia and New Zealand, the thought of carrying around that laptop was a big no, I needed to get a laptop which is small and portable, allow me to backup my photos from my camera and also allow me to publish blog entries and upload photos to my website.

Thats where the dell mini comes in, i got mine last night, and comparing it to my Dell Inspiron 710m, it is so much better, smaller, lightweight and still quite nippy!

I'll post a review of it this weekend with some photos!
  (#4) Old
Default Re: What are you using your mini 9 for? - 09-19-2008, 01:08 AM

My other laptop is an XPS M1730. It's quite powerful, has a WUXA screen and full-size keyboard and it can do pretty much anything a desktop can do, but it's freaking enormous. Carrying it around, setting it up and booting it are quite an ordeal, so I only use it for things that really need a full-blown computer.

I also have a Sprint Mogul PDA/Phone. It has high-speed Internet access and is small enough to carry around everywhere. But the screen is too small to do anything but the most rudimentary web browsing or e-mail and the keyboard is much too small for my hands.

The Mini 9 will fill the gap between the two. Small enough to carry around, but with a big enough screen and keyboard to actually be useful. I plan to tether the Mini 9 to my phone so I'll have Internet access anywhere without needing WiFi or a 3G card.

Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth, Ubuntu 8.10
  (#5) Old
Default Re: What are you using your mini 9 for? - 09-20-2008, 10:31 PM

Hi Fellow Mini'ans....
I recently ordered my Dell mini 9 for a few reasons. First and foremost, I recently had a newborn daughter and the mini can be carried from room to room when away from my main laptop (Gateway P-7811 FX) allowing always to be connected online when tending to the baby. Secondly, I previouly owned a EeePC (701 8GB) and I wanted to try Dell's version since I wasn't too happy with the EeePC's overall asthetics.'s the perfect mobile Microsoft Project station for when away from the office.

Dell Mini 9
1.6Ghz Atom Processor
- Windows XP Pro SP3 -
  (#6) Old
Default Re: What are you using your mini 9 for? - 09-22-2008, 02:39 PM

mainly for college, cause i already have a dell xps 1530.

and some gaming ofcourse cause i kno asus eee901 can handle some small games, and dell mini should keep up too. so ill have to see once i get it, which will most likely going to be next week
  (#7) Old
Default Re: What are you using your mini 9 for? - 09-22-2008, 08:32 PM

My father has a number of health problems and I go to most of his doctor appointments with him to hear first hand information rather than whatever he happens to remember. Many of the clinics and offices have free internet. I had an Eee 701 briefly but sold that on eBay as soon as I got wind of the larger screens coming and rumors of Dell making one. This will go with me from now on so I can check e-mail and surf the internet while waiting om the doctors. My husband is eligible to retire in a year or two and the kids will be gone so I plan to get wireless broadband at that time because we plan to travel. These mini's are the greatest invention yet!
  (#8) Old
Default Re: What are you using your mini 9 for? - 09-22-2008, 08:56 PM

I just wanted something smaller than my XPS M1210. Granted that system is already pretty small at 5lbs but it was still a bit of a pain in the butt to carry through airports etc. And I hardly ever used the optical drive or played games on it so the Mini does everything I need.
  (#9) Old
Default Re: What are you using your mini 9 for? - 09-22-2008, 09:50 PM

I've got an IT consulting company, so I always need to have a laptop with me in the event I need to connect and manage a client's server, etc. I've been carrying an IBM T41 for a while for this, but found that the weight of the Thinkpad and its accessories, bag, etc. was a hassle. I never used the optical drive, and hardly ever did anything more than load webpages and connect to terminal sessions, so it made sense to get a netbook for day to day use. I went with the Mini9 since it's the best looking one out there currently (IMO) and is the most expandable/easiest to swap parts out on (it will be nice when big fast SSDs are cheap next year).
  (#10) Old
Default Re: What are you using your mini 9 for? - 09-24-2008, 02:19 AM

basic web surfing around the house and when i'm on the road. i still use my desktop but mainly for multimedia use.

« Best way to manage WLAN/Bluetooth switching on/off | Extra battery now an option Dell Site »