Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Send a message via Yahoo to Dr Some-what Evil
Default Tiny red LED found in lighter - 01-28-2009, 05:43 PM

wasn't sure where to post this so I'll leave it up to the moderators to move it if needed.

I stopped by a local gas and grocery store to get a pack of smokes and seen a neat lighter with a white LED on the bottom used for a small flashlight of sorts and when you clicked the lighter to light it, red and blue LED's inside would flash back and forth for about 15 seconds. It was $1.50 so I bought one. These are very tiny and have a glob of clear epoxy over them. I have currently isolated and removed the red LED still attached to the PCB under the epoxy to use in the HD light project. There is enough of the leads to solder a tiny wire to each onto the PCB. The whole thing was running on 3 x 1.5 volt AG3 button cells so the extra 0.5 volt will most likely not hurt it. Since the PCB was separate from the rest of the assembly the white LED still works. I have saved the rest of the PCB for the blue LED in case anybody wants it. Now the question. This would be small enough to sit next to the "low battery light" its about 1/4 inch squared and about 1/16 or 1/32 inch thick. Will I still need to use a resister inline? I really want to get all the components assembled before soldering it to the motherboard of the mini and positioning the LED next to the clear plastic for the low battery light. I will provide a photo of the device before and after mounting if requested.

Dr Some-what Evil

STEC 8 gig SSD
RAM 2Gig 800Mhz.
WWAN parts in place
Fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Gigabyte b,g & n WiFi card that works
Sony DVD ROM/CD burner in slimline external case
Planned upgrades; 16 gig STEC SSD, Internal Bluetooth and Black Lid
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Tiny red LED found in lighter - 01-28-2009, 07:59 PM ... 3.JPG.html and ... 4.JPG.html

There is actually quite a lot space for the led if you mount it parallel to the mainboard (and not in the way in the pictures above). You will need a resistor, but without knowing the specs of your LED, you'll have to guess. Anything between 100 and 1K would do I imagine.

You can see more pictures here:

Modding the Dell Mini 9 Part 1 & Part 2

DELL MINI 9 | A05 | 10.6.1 | 8GB SSD | 1GB RAM

« Battery Check | I found a way to make my Mini run at full speed!!! »