Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old
Dephiance Dephiance is offline
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Unhappy Should I wait? - 01-28-2009, 04:39 PM

I ordered the Dell Mini 9 on Jan. 4th with an estimated ship date of the 19th. On the 15th I had noticed a deal offering the 32GB SSD and 0.3MP Webcam as an upgrade for what was less than $20. After speaking to a Dell Customer Care rep I was told that I would be unable to upgrade my order and would have to cancel and reorder.

So I canceled and reordered with a new estimated ship date of Jan 28th. But on the 26th I received an email stating that the order had been delayed with no new ship date provided. When I spoke to another Dell CC rep I was told that the new estimated ship date is now Feb. 24th due to a back order of motherboards and processors.

My question is simple (although the buildup was definitely not!) Should I wait for the order or should I break down and buy another netbook? At the time the Dell seemed to be the best option but I'm looking for opinions.

Reply With Quote
  (#2) Old
entropic_existence entropic_existence is offline
Posts: 56
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default Re: Should I wait? - 01-28-2009, 06:38 PM

I think the Dell is still the best bang for your buck of all the netbooks out there, although there certainly are better ones. From what I hear the HP is the one to beat right now. Personally I'm going to wait for my Mini although god knows how long I will end up having to wait.
Reply With Quote
  (#3) Old
WolfKeeper WolfKeeper is offline
Retired Mini user
WolfKeeper's Avatar
Posts: 1,575
Join Date: Oct 2008
Default Re: Should I wait? - 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM

If you want an answer to your question, we need to know why you chose the Dell IMO. If you're buying it because you like the Dell brand, wait. Is it replacing a laptop that's still working for you? Wait. Are you going to install OSX? Wait.

Do you need to do productive work right now and need a netbook right away and plan to utilize whatever operating system that shipped with the device? Go buy something else -- a friend of mine got the HP and it is a very solid unit.

Getting an iPad
Reply With Quote
  (#4) Old
rpminmn rpminmn is offline
Junior Member
Posts: 20
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default Re: Should I wait? - 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM

If you're set on dell mini 9 and want it soon, checkout the outlet. You get the dell warranty and they ship right away. I got the cheapest one they had and upgraded the memory and ssd myself for a very reasonable price. I was so pleased with it I just ordered another, and it was shipped the same day. Look around for a coupon for even greater savings. If the 20% coupon expired, I think I saw a 15% one recently on

Dell Mini 9 | Black | 2GB RAM | 32GB RunCore SSD | 1.3Mp Webcam
Asus Eee 1000HA | Black | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | Dell 360 BT | dual boot: XP SP3; Ubuntu-eee 8.04.1
Dell Mini 9 | White | 2GB RAM | 4GB SSD
Reply With Quote
  (#5) Old
Dephiance Dephiance is offline
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Default Re: Should I wait? - 02-02-2009, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the replies!

@Wolfkeeper - I think you're right. Looking at the reasons for buying was a really good idea. It helped prevent me from making an impulse buy this weekend. The big deal was the 32GB SSD and the community support that I've found online.

Thanks to everyone who commented!
Reply With Quote

« some quick q's | Remote Desktop »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Copyright © 2008-2016