Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default New OS SD help - 01-27-2009, 03:42 PM

Hi all, bit of a noob here so please bare with me ! I recently installed MiniXP on my M9 (Linux Ubuntu 2GB - 8GB SSD) all works fast and efficiently. However, over the weekend I had the urge to try Windows 7. So cleared the decks and loaded it on successfully, the only problem being was the speed, web-pages continually hung to such an extent that it made the system totally unusable I put it down to the fact that although I have 2GB of Ram the 8GB of storage space was on the limit. So my idea would be to purchase a 16GB SD Card and then reload Windows 7. Question is when the install asks which Drive do I want to use should I put W7 straight on the added SD Card ? Or is that not possible, or have I got all the above wrong and there's a better way ? Thanks anyway and sorry this is a rather basic question for some.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: New OS SD help - 01-27-2009, 03:49 PM

The Dell Mini is not able to boot from an SD Card, so installing an OS on the card is going to be difficult, if not impossible. If you need more space for things like an OS, a new SSD (hard drive) is in order. There are numerous posts and ads for the RunCore series of drives here (which get numrous positive posts), plus Crucial ( is now offering a 32 GB SSD for $79. Although, as Windows guy, I am loathe to say it, but you are probably better off sticking with Linux on the smaller SSD. Linux apps tend to be smaller, and less resource intesnive than compariable WIndows ones, and performance will feel "snappier." Good luck! :mrgreen:

Rich S.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: New OS SD help - 01-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Supposedly, the Crucial SSD has very poor performance, and isn't worth considering. I'm not aware of anyone who has purchased it.

« Gaming on the Mini??? | Dell Mini 9 has a better display than Macbook Pro »