Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#21) Old
Default Re: Recommended Size of SSD - 02-01-2009, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by cwdonahue
Originally Posted by Jballchat
I have 8G drive with Win XP. After initial set-up which did a Java update and 28 Win updates I only have 1G free. That kinda surprised me. Any suggestions to get more free space?
As suggested elsewhere, go to the "HIbernation" tab in Power Options and uncheck it. You get your memory size released from your disk by XP which reserves it for hibernation mode. Quick and easy space gain.

A question about uncompressing for others here....I did uncompress my drive, but I still have some driver files and other items that were in use, so they did not uncompress. What's the easiest way to uncompress these other files?

They should uncompress the next time you restart your lappy.
  (#22) Old
Default Re: Recommended Size of SSD - 02-03-2009, 07:02 PM

Well, they aren't all uncompressing. I've found many files in \windows\system32 that aren't uncompressed. Some I can fix by altering the file properties by hand. Others, I can change the properties, but they can't seem to be uncompressed because they are in use. Got to be any easier way to clean all these uncompressed files up.
  (#23) Old
Default Re: Recommended Size of SSD - 02-04-2009, 03:36 AM

32 GB is enough !
My windows 7 and other programs only use 8 G Space.

My Dell Mini 9 ~$380 : Color Stickers 1 in Green | 32GB Runcore | 2GB RAM | Bluetooth |
US Intl Keyboard| 8GB SDHC | Windows 7 7068 & Mac OS X 10.5.6 | Real HD Light |
Internal Logitech MX Receiver |Belkin Mini9 Messenger bag | Psyopper sleeve !
  (#24) Old
Default Re: Recommended Size of SSD - 02-05-2009, 10:22 PM

I ordered two MINI 9 refurbs last week -- each with 1GB RAM (2GB stick already on order) and 8GB SSD. I should have them today or tomorrow at the latest.

I did some testing with nLite today and was able to trim down my Windows XP (SP-3) install down to 1.36GB installed.

I tested the install within VMware Workstation 6.5 and it runs great. Only Windows Update doesn't work (must have stripped something out that it needs). But it's good to see XP installed and running using less than 2GB of disk space.

For a moment I was bummed that I didn't get the 16GB SSD, but since it'll be mostly for MP3's and videos, I'll just pop in a 16GB "Class 6" SDHC card for around $25. Can't beat that!

16GB SDHC card + 8GB SSD (- 2GB for XP install) = about 22GB free space. Not bad at all.

Dell Inspiron 1750, T6600, 4GB RAM, Wireless N

« Bluetooth card installed ok, Anyone tether via bluetooth? | Stretched XP Boot Screen »