Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Watching Movies - 01-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Yesterday, I flew from Georgia to Hawaii non-stop (business). This is a 10 hour flight that I have made 4 times in the last year. I have been downloading rental movies from CinemaNow for the past year onto a portable Archos video/audio player. I decided to try CinemaNow on the Mini. They have a nice media player that handles the DRM, so I installed it and then rented Max Payne for $4.00. The way it works is the movie can be watched for 24 hours after the first viewing. So I downloaded the movie and did not test it until I got on the plane. Short story, it worked great and the Mini screen is so gorgeous when watching movies full screen. I traveled with a coworker and he watched the movie after I did. So, we played the movie twice on one battery. I have a spare battery and swapped it in to work in Visual Studio. I got tired and shut down for a nap with less than 50% left on my 2nd battery, but I would have run out of juice before the end of the flight. Anyway, great experience and all the "big" laptops and personal dvd players around me were long dead when I finally shut down :mrgreen:. My first trip with the Mini and I never touched my work laptop (a 14" Dell Latitude) while traveling. It was really cool to have enough room on the airline tray to use my Mini along with a drink and snack.

Black 2GB Memory, 16GB SSD, BT, 1.3 WebCam, Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#2) Old
Default Re: Watching Movies - 01-25-2009, 08:37 PM

Great to hear. I too have been very impressed with the Mini's battery life. Consider using VLC to rip your existing DVDs, save the file to an SD Card and pop it into your Mini for playback on VLC also. ... 230349.php

How big is your Visual Studio install? I'm assuming you have at least a 16gb SSD for that beast. Still, the mini would be a great way to pop out some quick code on the go, that is if I was any good at programming (I'm not).

« Removal of unwanted bloatware etc | Installing Windows XP from a USB key »