Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Removal of unwanted bloatware etc - 01-25-2009, 04:55 PM

Hi All

I know this may have been covered elsewhere and have scanned the forum but after some input. Finally took the plunge and decided to install Windows XP Home Edition with SP3 onto my Dell Mini which did originally come with Ubuntu but wanted access to MS Office and a few other things..

Got an 8GB SSD and after a full install of Windows XP Home SP3, MS Office 2003 (just excel, word, powerpoint and Outlook), all Dell Drivers, Window Washer, Avira AV and a Roxio suite for my external DVD RW I am down to about 350MB of free space. Not a major issue as will save any docs etc to a Flash Drive but concerned about future updates etc which seem to take up the space. Any suggestions on crap already on XP that can be removed that will free up some space. I have to say all working fine so not an issue in that respect just wanted to free up some space where possible.. Other alternative being get a bigger SSD!

Look forward to any thoughts..

(#2) Old
Default Re: Removal of unwanted bloatware etc - 01-25-2009, 06:25 PM

Quite a long discussion here, found by searching for "bloatware".

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Removal of unwanted bloatware etc - 01-25-2009, 08:31 PM

Windows Update Cleanup is a great little utility that removes the uninstall backups Windows does of each Windows Update. The "older" your windows install is the more space this will save you. Just make sure that your machine is running well before you remove them because once the backups are gone, you'll have no ability to uninstall any of the patches.

Also mentioned quite often on here is Nlite, takes some work but great way to get a "bare essentials" install:

« Battery Loose/Missing SD Slot Cover | Watching Movies »