Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Send a message via AIM to turtle
Default just found my mini 9 again - 04-21-2013, 08:52 AM

hey guys. i just found my dell mini 9 that i put away a couple years ago when i got my new laptop.

I think im going to convert this into garage laptop, which means it will be mainly for music, youtube DIY's and pulling up PDF files. Also surfing the web for my bored helper. So pretty much minor task.

i have like the 1st editions barebone mini 9 out there. 4gb SSD running on ubuntu 8.04, i upgraded to 2gb of RAM and have a 32gb runcore on winXP and that is amazingly slow. I want to test out the OS on my 4gb drive before i wipe out my 32gb runcore. Ubuntu 8.04 seems to very dated stuff. Looking for suggestions for OS and if there are possible upgrades to the mini9 that wasnt out there a couple years ago.
  (#2) Old
Default 04-21-2013, 06:21 PM

I changed to 10.04 LTS & will be staying with it due to SSD space limitations. There are other versions of Linux which are small enough to run on a 4 GB SSD that you might consider as well. I store my files on a 2 GB SDHC. You can get a 16 GB SDHC or 32 GB for minimal $$. If you just want to switch to the 32 GB SSD, I would put 12.04 LTS on it. We have it on 2 desktops with no complaints.

If you really want Windows, I woud skip XP & get Win 7.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |

Last edited by lswartz; 04-21-2013 at 06:25 PM.

« Windows 8 on mini | OS X 10.5.1 7GB SSD - EFI Fixes & Audio Fixes »