Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Refreshing my Mini - Questions and Resources - 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM

My Mini had been mothballed (needed a windows laptop for work) and I just undertook a refresh/reinstall prior to plans to sell it (though I sort of fell in love with it again). Had a few questions from the re-install, and some links for people doing the same.

First the questions:
1) Loaded ubuntu 12.10, and after installing the proprietary drivers for the Broadcom 4312, WiFi/wireless worked right away, but on reboot, there's no connection or access points listed:

Very occasionally disabling and re-enabling Wireless gets access points visible and once connected, everything works fine. Is there a fix for this? On an older version of Ubuntu, I vaguely remember having to run a command-line script to get the wireless to work on reboot.

2) I still have the A03 BIOS. Is there anything worthwhile to be gained by updating?

Also here is my mini-guide and some handy links for others doing something to my refresh:

Used a windows machine to create an bootable Ubuntu install disk, following instructions here:
Create a USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

which requires downloading the pendrivelinux usb creator:
Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

Downloaded the 12.10 ubuntu quantal quetzal .iso here:
Desktop | Ubuntu

After running the pendrivelinux program on windows and pointing it to the iso, plugged the USB into the Mini and rebooted. Did "try ubuntu" then secure wiped the SSD, as described here:

Rebooted (with USB in place) and this chose "Install ubuntu" option.

After install, the wireless drivers need to be installed via program launcher System Settings -> Software Sources -> Additional Drivers -> "Use Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source from bcmwl-kernel-source (proprietary)". You'll need to plug in your ethernet cable for it to download the files. As described above, I'm still having issues with the wifi, so this isn't entirely flawless.

In addition, I also had an issue with the long-latent battery not accepting a charge. Per the advice in this thread ( battery not charging ) plugging and unplugging the battery or the charger gradually gives it enough power such that it can accept a charge. I'm currently at 8%, and, per other reports, I may need to charge for ~24 hrs.

Last edited by traycerb; 01-05-2013 at 07:56 AM.

« Chromium April version not re-booting. | Trouble With Chrome OS deletion »