Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default XP reinstall only boots to safemode options - 11-22-2012, 03:55 PM

Tried not to start a new thread but could not find any info on subject.

-My oem 16gb ssd died on my mini 9. Got new 32gb ssd.
-My Mini did not come with reinstall cd so I procured a new dell reinstallation CD
- Install went fine from usb cd rom drive after continually changing source from cdrom0\386 to d:\i386
- Now it will only boot to the safemode options screen.
- I cant run the diagnotics or repair mode from disc as it asks for admin password but i did not create one on this new install.

Not certain where to go from here. I cant be the only one who has ever experienced this.

Any ideas would be great !! Thanks Jim
  (#2) Old
Default 11-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Hi Jim,

As you have re installed the operating system on a new hard drive, there should not have been any issues. Please try to do another clean re installation of Windows by following the steps below.

1. Connect the external drive to the USB port.
2. Restart the system and and tap on the F2 key.
3. On the system setup page choose the option Boot.
4. Scroll down to the option removable devices.
5. Press F10 to save and exit.
6. Once this is done, restart the system.

The system will now boot from the external optical drive. Follow the steps below to reinstall Windows XP

1.In the Windows XP Setup screen , press <Enter> to set up Windows XP.

2.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, read the license agreement, and then press <Page Down> to scroll through the agreement.

3.Press <F8> to accept the terms and conditions specified in the license agreement. The partition screen is displayed. depending on your computer configuration.

4.Delete the partitions if any, and install the Windows on the unpartitioned space.

5.If you are prompted to format the partition, use the up or down arrow keys to highlight Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick). Press <Enter> or <F>, if applicable, to format the partition.

6.Setup will format the drive, if necessary, then copy the files needed for installation. This process can take several minutes. Once done, Windows will restart the computer to continue Setup from the hard drive.

7.After the computer restarts, Setup continues with a graphical user interface (GUI) in the classic Windows theme. In this stage, you are asked to input information to personalize your installation. Your screen may blink several times during this process, which is normal. The information to input, and the order it is provided, is shown below:

Click Next on the Regional and Language Options window.

In the Personalize Your Software screen, type your name in the Name: field and your organization's name in the Organization: field, if applicable, and click Next.

In the Computer Name screen, type the computer name in the Computer Name: field if you want to change it from the name provided. For Windows XP Professional Edition users, type a password in the Administrator Password: field and then type the same password in the Confirm Password: field.

Click Next.

In the Date and Time Settings screen, verify that the correct Date, Time, and Time Zone appear, and click Next.

In the Networking Settings screen, click to select Typical, and click Next. If available, click Skip to skip the networking setup section.

Setup will finalize the installation and should complete within 30 minutes of this point. Once complete, the computer will restart.

Please check if the system is restarting to Windows normally. Do write back for any further help.

Thanks and regards
Abhishek B
  (#3) Old
Default 11-24-2012, 09:33 PM

Ok thanks Abhishek for detailed instructions. I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes. I will do it sometime Sunday when I get some quiet time.

(#4) Old
Default 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Abhishek , I got a chance to view your instructions. The 2 option for boot did not work. It will only boot using 0 option for cdrom boot. The rest of the instructions were pretty much same as I performed previous 2 times so I did not re-install. I did boot to XP disk again and let it sit on the install / repair options screen for awhile while thinking what next move would be. I finally tried the repair option again and this time it worked and did not ask for password. It ran for a long time and re-installed a lot of the program. After loading all drivers and sp3 all is much better than before. I upgraded ssd to 32gb Kingspec. Much faster than old 16gb ssd. Its a lot of work getting this all done but very enjoyable to be able to get it done and have my Mini9 back and working better than ever. No need for a new laptop now. BTW... I use "advanced system care pro" to keep the mini tuned up. Works great at speeding up all processes for xp and freeing up space.
Guess I may never know what issue was on the install but all good now. Thanks for your help. Jim
  (#5) Old
Default 11-27-2012, 12:54 AM

FWIW, I generally recommend against tools that claim to keep a Windows system "tuned up". Many of them are actually harmful. The notion of "freeing up space" hasn't been useful since Windows 3.1.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#6) Old
Default 12-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Holmes4 thanks for advice. I generally agree on the Tuneup claim for many of those apps I have tried in the past. Advanced care can slow your system too if you turn on all bells & whistles. It seems to work well at keeping the junk from building up though. At least for me it does.

I recently downloaded Mozilla Firefox. Wow.. what a difference. Everything works smoothly including scrolling. Chome plays flash choppy and IE8 is just a pig. I am finally happy with the mini short of the new ssd and added ram possibly draining the battery a little faster. I run on ac most of time anyway.

Merry Christmas All

mini 9, reinstall of xp, safe mode

« Won't boot with one battery attached | Chromium April version not re-booting. »