Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old

Default Need suggestions for a SSD - 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM

I am getting tired of replacing the stock SSD and am looking for an aftermarket SSD that I can pop in, then running the operating system reinstallation cd and drivers & utilities reinstallation cd.

Everything else is still stock on my dell mini 9.

SUggestions for a good, reliable SSD?
  (#2) Old
Administrator

Default 08-12-2012, 02:16 PM

There are few choices, and people have reported problems with all of them. The RunCore I have in my Mini 9 has been trouble-free for 3+ years, but it's not the same as the currently available models. These specialty SSDs are not cheap - at what point do you decide to stop investing in the Mini 9 and perhaps buy a newer model that takes a standard disk size?

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old

Default 09-26-2012, 06:03 PM

I've recently noticed that Kingspec have an 8GB SSD for the mini 9, available at low cost on ebay. Will give one a go when my last remaining STEC dies.
  (#4) Old

Default 05-12-2013, 12:28 PM

SSD wear out with use = to get max life just have the OS on the SSD for fast boot and all the data which gets rewritten on a large USB stick.
I just had a nasty scare with a no boot after running an update / scan with MSE but after several hours with no battery or mains it did boot up on just mains = phew - Agree its a good ? why keep on paying for new SSD drives ? every 2 to 3 years...pity I like my mini dell....UK Cadium PC Technology do a 16 gb ssd for ? 35 and also do a free try to get the old one going...
good link
http://www.cadmiumpctech.co.uk/

Last edited by atgw; 05-12-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: link
  (#5) Old

Default Love my RunCore 32GB SSD - 07-07-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
There are few choices, and people have reported problems with all of them. The RunCore I have in my Mini 9 has been trouble-free for 3+ years, but it's not the same as the currently available models. These specialty SSDs are not cheap - at what point do you decide to stop investing in the Mini 9 and perhaps buy a newer model that takes a standard disk size?
I have ran a RunCore 32GB SSD upgrade in my Dell Mini for over 2 years...love it!

I also upgraded my Memory from 1Gb to 2GB shortly after I got my Mini 9.

I only wish my Mini 9 had a a HDMI port.

Bob
  (#6) Old

Default 02-02-2014, 12:22 AM

I just resurrected mine from about a two year sleep. I had put the RunCore 64GB in mine years ago and it booted right up.

« How can I clear my computer disk space? | Chromium OS - can't left or right click. »