Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default The BEST ChromiumOS build for the Mini 9? - 05-25-2012, 01:58 PM

I am hoping to compare notes with others who have tried the various ChromiumOS builds for the Mini 9. I know that this has been discussed in the larger context of builds for Dell minis, but I'm focusing specifically on the Mini9. Personally--not that I have tried them all, which is why I started this thread--the build I prefer is the Hexxeh Lime build Version 1384.0.ra19cf6e2, dated 2 DEC 2011. I have tried newer Lime and Vanilla builds from Hexxeh, and none has worked as well--and mostly not at all! The "Dell" build ChromiumOS_x86_April15_2012.img.gz works, but I don't like it as well as the Lime build I mentioned earlier. I find that on the Dell build the scrolling is very jumpy, and I can't seem to get Flash working; The scrolling is much smoother on the Lime build, and Flash works out of the box. Wireless networking works in both, although the Lime build works without the need to install the drivers. About the only negative I have found with the Lime build is that when I go to the Chrome Store, I get a blue screen that lasts several seconds before the Chrome Store data loads. And of course I don't have the Netflix player, although I'm not sure any build includes it.

So, how does this compare with your experiences with different ChromiumOS builds, and can I do better than the Lime build I am using?
  (#2) Old
Default 05-31-2012, 03:52 AM

My Dell Mini 9 has been collecting dust for years now. However, I'm planning to revive it with the latest hexxeh build after reading about the new version of ChromiumOS in reviews of the new chromebooks. I hope the battery is forgiving!

10.6.3. 2GB RAM. 32GB RunCore.
  (#3) Old
Default 08-14-2012, 04:46 PM

I tried the dell unofficial build I downloaded from dell's web site. Google "dell mini chromium build" to find it. All drivers worked when running off a USB stick, but when I installed it to SSD it wouldn't boot.

chromiumos, hexxeh lime, mini 9

« Battery level | Need Windows 7 Dell Mini 9 Drivers Links... »