Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default converting ubuntu to windows 7 pro? questions - 04-24-2012, 05:41 PM

I have two dell mini 9s that I've had ubuntu on that I want to convert to windows 7 (preferably pro, but am flexible about that)

They have 2GB ram in them, and the SSD drive is 128GB.

Are there any issues (bios upgrades?) I need to do this, or is it just putting the windows 7 disk in an external HD and running the install?

Re the version of windows 7, which is so pricey. I have seen references to windows 7 starter, but I don't see that on the microsoft site as a for sale item. Is that available and for what price?

Also, Amazon sells an OEM version of windows 7 pro that is much cheaper than the regular version of 7 pro. Anyone have any experience with this? Its like 100$ less.

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 04-25-2012, 02:09 AM

Windows 7 Starter is usually what OEM's install on new systems, I would go with either Pro or Ultimate.....I dont think you can buy the starter version.....and the starter version is a real limited version also, for example you cant even change the desktop background with starter if anyone does have starter the best thing to do is go into control panel and run the anytime upgrade and call MS for a key to unlock the Pro or Ultimate versions

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 04-25-2012 at 02:12 AM.
  (#3) Old
Default 04-25-2012, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by sansha View Post

Are there any issues (bios upgrades?)?

Re the version of windows 7, which is so pricey.
There are none required as long as your Mini is working properly.

If you are a college student, try your book store, most have a good student discount. You can also get it directly from MS as a download or $15 extra for a disk. just google for the student price - might be limited to USA only though.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |

« Help with new SSD | Mini 9 Display damaged, cheap replacements? »