Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default ideas for a unused mini? - 03-20-2012, 03:46 AM

So my mini is now out dated. I have an iPad for mobility and a laptop for work and power browising. What are some ideas you guys have to still make it useful? I am running Ubuntu 11. On it and it has been a great computer for learning the basics of linex.
8 gig hd, 2 gig ram, natty os. Wifi only.
I appreciate your feed back, I tried some quick searching but didn't find what I was looking for. Links would be great also.

(#2) Old
Default 03-24-2012, 05:57 PM

I use mine as a living room/kitchen computer that is on all day. Easy to check email, googling etc. We also like Titan TV for TV listings but record OTA & only watch the news live. We also take it on any trip just for convenience. I don't think I will get a tablet as a keyboard seems to be essential. When I replace it I guess I'll get a small laptop.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old
Default 03-27-2012, 09:45 PM

I basically use mine to remote into other computers/servers and for trips. It works great with google voice and/or Obihai to make calls with a bluetooth headset/phones. I'm now trying to do a few mods to it now that it is old enough that replacing it wouldn't be an issue. Though that line of thought does put me a bit behind on mods, I can be a bit more fearless when I do get to them.

Otherwise, it could be an asterisk server, tvpc to play networked videos/front end tv, or if it interests you, a DC-PC server (dreamcast ). I love using old laptops for small servers with a new third-party battery because of the versatility and compact form.
If nothing else, hook up a cheap external drive and host LAN shares with something like Orb to stream to devices outside your lan.

Last edited by tismon; 03-27-2012 at 09:55 PM.

« Windows 8 Beta | Require a D169H power button board + cable »