Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#71) Old
Default 05-25-2012, 11:06 AM

well may be looking to move on from the mini 9 still have two running with 64gig runcore SSD's kids have moved onto ipod touches and get annoyed with the poor screen resolution they now steal mums apple air and her ipad. The units have performed pretty well one unit still running OSX SL the other XP media centre after installing win 8 and just found it to have to many problems went back to XP.

Not to sure what to do with these units not worth much may just put them away,[COLOR="Silver
  (#72) Old
Default 05-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Still using mine...every so often. Running Ubuntu 10.10 on it. Windows was bogging the machine down making it slow, so I deleted it. Alas, though the machine is getting 'tired'...
  (#73) Old
Default 05-26-2012, 09:30 PM

i have mine use it almost every day and still modding
  (#74) Old
Default 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM

I'm just starting with mine, it was going to end up in the trash can at my father-in-laws
  (#75) Old
Default 06-20-2012, 10:58 PM

Still going here looking to upgrade to WiFi N & may be new bat + playing with GPS @ mo.

When I need to take a PC with me it's the 9 also handy around the house for programming switches and routers.

I don't drive so 9" is the way to go.

The wwan is also dead handy

Mini9 (Vodafone) 3G WiFi N WiMax BT 2GB .3MP 32G Runcore XP

Last edited by Paul42; 06-20-2012 at 11:13 PM. Reason: wwan
  (#76) Old
Smile This is beautiful - 06-23-2012, 04:08 PM

I Love My Dell Mini 9 that I had gotten 2 years ago and then I found this incredible forum. My Mini 9 has been through many renditions and is finally at home with the Jan 3 Chromium 18. I use this thing everywhere.

I recently started picking up dead Minis on Ebay and Craigslist and refurbing them for my college friends. These are great devices and an awesome community even today, years after the device was discontinued.

Mini 9, BIOS A06, ChromiumOSJan3, 1 GB RAM, STEC Stock 8GB SSD, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Webcam

Mini 9, BIOS A05, Win XP SP3, 1 GB RAM, 16 STEC SSD
  (#77) Old
Default 06-23-2012, 10:57 PM

I still use mine everyday. I have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and it runs flawless and quick. The 32gb Runcore was a big improvement. I finally figured how to store all device backups and music on a 32gb SD card. Nothing stays on the SSD. I have tried XP on it it was slow. This was made for OSX. I can watch Hulu movies on it and everything I want to do. I replaced the heat pads with copper shims and thin heat . It runs cooler longer and hasn't gone above 67 degrees C yet. The keyboard gets hotter though.
  (#78) Old
Default 07-01-2012, 01:44 AM

Hi Guys....this is my first post with my Mini9!

I'm used to having a 17" Alienware laptop at home as a desktop replacement / gaming machine but i picked the Mini9 up from eBay for about $95 in really good condition, fully working, as something to take overseas with us. I'm hoping to take a small passport HDD and download our holiday photos using the Mini9 as we travel. I've had it for about a week and already replaced the RAM with a 2GB stick and the HDD to a 32GB SDD. I would have loved to put in the 64GB SDD but this is my exercise in refurbing a great little machine as cost effectively as i can.

I bought the Mini9 with XP Pro SP3 on it but it was a little slow so i put Win7 yesterday but i can't seem to get any of the features (wifi/bluetooth/camera) to work yet so might have to switch back to XP or try Ubuntu. I also picked up a car charger fairly cheaply from ebay $6 delivered, targus case $6 delivered & a skin $5 delivered. Considering how light the whole machine is, and its size, the fact yiou can easily carry it in a backpack or handbag i'm really looking forward to seeing how mobile its going to be when we are overseas
  (#79) Old
Default 07-06-2012, 08:26 AM

bought my Vostra A90 / Mini9 3 years ago, and upgraded it this week to 2GB RAM and 32GB RunCoreSSD.
Just installed Mac OS 10.6.3 on it: Can not play HD Videos (;-) , but for surfing, watching other videos and typing its working quite fast.
  (#80) Old
Default 09-26-2012, 06:16 PM

Still using 2 mini 9s at home every day, one for surfing/torrents, other for watching movies. What else with a keyboard could I put in the small spaces available in front of large external monitors?

« small mods i made: | Weighing repair cost vs new computer »