Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#61) Old
Default 04-17-2012, 05:09 AM

Mine has become part of my body... goes everywhere with me (well, maybe not quite everywhere – don't use it in the bath, for instance) and is always within arm's reach. Great for travel, swift lookups to settle arguments, translations when stuck in a foreign country with no-one who speaks my language. Hooked up to my mobile phone and the world is my oyster. Also runs my teaching presentations, remotely controlled by my mobile. Yes, there are faster, lighter, more up-to-date, sexier options but the mini 9 works for me.

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#62) Old
Default 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM

I still have mine but never use it because it is much too slow. Fortunately it was not an expensive machine but the $200 or so that I spent was almost 100% wasted. If it performed with any reasonable speed I would use it all the time because it is so incredibly convenient to carry and all I really need is email, web access, and a limited number of other low overhead Apps (Word, Excel, MS Streets & Trips, Nikon camera transfer app, etc.) when I travel.

When it was new I loaded W7 on it and was pleasantly surprised how well it performed. With time (and unfortunately not a lot of time) it slowed to an unusable crawl because the SSD does not have TRIM or Garbage Collection ability. I turned off most everything (e.g. W7 aero graphics etc.) that uses hardware overhead but that has only marginally helped. I am actually very angry at Dell for selling a machine that turned out to predictably significantly loose performance with time because of the crappy SSD. We have not bought another Dell product since and it will be a long time before we get suckered into something like the Mini 9 SSD again by Dell.
  (#63) Old
Default Still up an running - 04-21-2012, 11:20 AM

Well, my dell mini 9 is lacking of the SSD since one year, so I use an external USB Harddisk as OS Disk (Macosx 10.6.8).

I use my dell mini as server with integrated display mostly.
Direct use is download station (for longer running tasks), Webserver and VNC Server (to check whats going on at home).

I also use the webcam for surveilance purposes.

Still, I decided to order a 32gb ssd to not to be dependent on the USB disk at all.

I also have a Canon LIDE 35 Scanner which is not supported by MacOS Lion (which runs on my iMac, MacBook Pro 13" (this replaced my mini as notebook) and my MacMini.

I hope the Drive will arrive next week, so that my Mini will continue its mission

Last edited by Koxi; 04-21-2012 at 11:23 AM.
  (#64) Old
Thumbs up 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Just loving it, it is amazing! Fun, easy, fast. I have been using it for web and mobile development for over a year (plus having fun) and it works well. I only miss a few keys, but TextExpander, Coda and the symbol app help a lot.

Though I have had some problems - SSD getting corrupted somehow and then reinstalling everything with help from backups. Then my battery is now completely dead, I can barely keep it on for a few minutes before plugging in the cord. I bought a new extra capacity battery but it didnt work and the seller (Amazon: ) just told me to pay all the expenses (+150) for a new one...

Thanks everyone for the great stuff you posted here!

Everything Everywhere.
  (#65) Old
Default 05-07-2012, 12:13 PM

i am still using mine daily with Jolicloud as the main OS
  (#66) Old
Default 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM

Still using mine with external usb drive (voyager GT) and PCLOS Phoenix

| Mini 9 | 32GB RunCore Pro IV | 2GB Kingston | Flybook external DVD-RW | SL 10.6.8 |
  (#67) Old
Default Still got my ice blue mini - 05-14-2012, 02:40 AM

Been thinking about putting SL on it , but since it still runs strong and fast i think why mess with it? Also can i just load SL on it like i did OSX? directly onto the runcore? Then i might if it's that easy....

Ice Blue 32gb ssd 2gb ram OSX .3mp camera....
  (#68) Old
Default 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM

If "SL" is "Snow Leopard", that is OS X. There are many guides in the OS X section of the forum.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#69) Old
Default 05-15-2012, 10:27 PM

Still using OSX on mine - about to do BIOS upgrade as I bought one of those huge batteries, and want the computer to not turn of when I try to run it on said battery.

Still awesome!
  (#70) Old
Default 05-16-2012, 12:46 AM

I use mine daily for the most part... I use it to troubleshoot network issues "Network Consulting" and sometimes for personal use when traveling.

No webcam, (don't need it), 2GB, RunCore 32GB, 16GB SDHC C10, Win7 Ultimate.

« small mods i made: | Weighing repair cost vs new computer »