Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#131) Old
Administrator

Default 09-02-2015, 11:56 PM

I think the Kingspec is the only one still on the market.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#132) Old

Default 09-03-2015, 01:15 PM

I use mine everyday. It has become sluggish and crashes often especially with Firefox. I usually have a lot of tabs open and run Firefox in parallel with Opera and sometimes a few pdf documents open.

I am thinking of expanding the memory to 2GB. Would this one fit as it is meant for a Mini 1210?

NEW 2GB Dell Inspiron Mini 9 12 1210 Memory PC2 6400s 800MHz 200pin DDR2 RAM | eBay

I run Ubuntu 14.4. I expanded the memory with a 16GB SSD about 3 years ago, the original 8GB was dead.
This year I replaced the battery with a 6 cell, not so good, it's bulky and heavy, but it's still OK. I use a 32GB SD card for mass storage. I also had to replace the power adapter after 6 years of intensive use.

I have used the mini at sea with a USB GPS and a navigation program at well as decoding weatherfaxes with a simple SSB receiver.

I can't yet see a good replacement for this computer on the current market, compact and light.

Cheers
  (#133) Old
Administrator

Default 09-03-2015, 04:10 PM

The listing also mentions Mini 9. Should work ok. I think however that the usual culprit on the 9 is the SSD which, like many early SSDs, slows down as it gets used. Mine is extremely slow nowadays and I got a Runcore 64GB when they first came out.

Steve
  (#134) Old

Default 09-03-2015, 05:02 PM

Interesting piece of information. Is there a program out to test the speed of the SSD? I ordered the 2GB today.

Cheers
  (#135) Old
Administrator

Default 09-05-2015, 12:40 AM

atto is probably the most popular.

If the site annoys you with the request for email, try http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...benchmark.html

I hope you meant 32GB....

Steve
  (#136) Old

Default 03-07-2016, 01:58 PM

Still here with OSX/WIN7 but will try deepin linux asap

 French Mini 9  | 2Go RAM | 64 Go SSD | OSX 10.6.8 / Win 7 | NBI .8.5 | BIOS A06 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | BlueTooth : OFF
  (#137) Old

Default 05-11-2016, 12:13 AM

It turns on, but my hard drive is not currently working...so I have no operating system. It looks almost brand new, though.
  (#138) Old

Default 04-06-2017, 02:22 AM

Hi to all still type on a hot keyboard!
I use a Dell mini 9 with Xubuntu 16.04 (and Windows 7 which I never use, I forget it is there), 32GB Kingspec, 2GB RAM, 3G (with GPS, I never managed it to work in Linux or Win7, only with WinXP I was able to use the GPS and it was very accurate) and bluetooth. There is a 2GB SD card in it's slot for temp data, to exrtact a large .zip, download something for short time. I think I will try this also:
Dell 5530 3G WWAN card - improving speed...
I have another Dell mini 9 (doesn't matter why) with Xubuntu 12.04, same spesifications exept the SSD is a Super Talent (slower) and no SD card. For a long time the speakers work only with the screen half-opened, a hint-cable problem, so just external speakers. Once I had connect a &^%$*&%$@ external disk case that usually worked fine, but that time I also pluged the power supply of the case. The worst is that I used a dual-USB cable (Y-cable), so the result was a burning smell, a little smoke and finaly the two left USB ports unusable untill now. I am happy there was no other damage. Now I want to use this mini as a file/torrent/bookmarks server, we all know these machines don' t have good graphic abilities, so a low power consumption server use is fine for this and the battery offers a native UPS.
The reason I visit this very usefull website after a long time is because I decided to buy two SD cards for my netbooks. Does anyone know for sure what is the maximum SD card capability of the Dell mini? Maximum storage space and maximum type/speed that works without problems in the mini 9.
Thanks for any advice!

« Max SSD Size for Mini 9? | - »