Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#111) Old
Default Back from the brink - 03-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Just managed to resurrect a Mini 9 given to me by a client in exchange for some other PC work. Unit had dead SSD, so am running Linux Mint 13 (XFCE, LTS edition) with persistence on a tiny SanDisk Fit USB flash drive. Also, since the Broadcom wireless drivers are a problem with many distros, I decided to replace the Broadcom card with an Intel WIFI Link 5100.

Unit now works great. Nice portable machine for traveling.

Dell Mini 9, 2gb ram, Linux Mint 13 (persistent) on 8gb flash drive, 4gb SD card for added storage, Intel 5100 wifi.
  (#112) Old
Default 03-13-2013, 04:40 AM

Still have mine and just loaded Windows 8 (everything works) after having had Mint 7, then ChromiumOS on it for a while; although, I really didn't have a reason to switch. I'd like to try the newest Mint but I'm afraid that the Broadcom card wouldn't work.
My main complaint is that the screen is so hard to see in sunlight or bright overcast so I currently use a B&N Nook Color with Cyanogen 7 for surfing and reading.
  (#113) Old
Default 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM

Just starting to use our Mini 9 again after rediscovering it in a cupboard - it hasn't been used since the iPad arrived home
I used to use it when travelling as a way to view & backup digital SLR photos. It's got Leopard on it atm, so I'm back here to get help slamming 10.6.8 on it instead. It still makes a cute Hackintosh
  (#114) Old
Default 03-14-2013, 03:48 PM

After sitting on the shelf, I've spent several weeks now getting my Mini 9 going again. Years ago bumped the RAM to 2GB and went with the international keyboard, but hadn't done much with it since with the iPhone and tablet foray. I still appreciate it's size with the keyboard and the ability to run good old XP. Stuff I've done in the past weeks:

- The stock battery only gave me a half hour of life -- picked up a battery from Deal Extreme and it works great, no probs with the newer bios.

- Running XP and with the stock STEC 8GB SSD, I uninstalled programs and now running several apps off the SD card using Freed up 2GB of space. Trying to go exclusively with portable apps, with the exception of iTunes.

- Using Clonezilla on a USB stick, cloned the SSD for the first time, reading about the Stec SSD not working. I've copied all the info and programs from the Punj Technology blog about getting the Stec working again if it stops working, hoping the image using Clonezilla gets me up and running again without needing to use (and find?) the discs.

- Experimenting with Ubuntu with persistence booting off a USB stick just to try another OS, just in case the SSD stops working and can't get the above to work. Other than some oddity with the time not being accurate, has been working great.

- Running a portable SNES emulator with a gamepad to test out using it for old school gaming. Works great. Can't get Nintendo 64 emulation to work, but oh well.

- Running portable Dropbox off the SD card to save SSD space using Portable Dropbox AHK. Love this.

Left to do/consider:

- Bought a SanDisk Cruzer Fit for it's size to hopefully both run Ubuntu and use to run Portable Apps, hoping it will be a bit faster than the SD card and also won't stick out, plus leaving the SD slot open.

- Considering buying a SKQUE silicone skin, wondering if anyone here uses these? Reviews online seem mixed.

Overall, I still think the Mini is still a great device.
  (#115) Old
Default 04-12-2013, 10:08 AM

Hey just dug out the O'l mini 9 - running 10.6.4 which I have not used for around 12 months, everything seems to work battery is a bit buggered - showing 0% so may be totally stuffed. Will leave on charge and see if it recovers. Running quicker on the internet than my ASUS TF700 which is surprising - actually when I think about it my mini 9 is running a runcore 64 gig SSD with 2 gig of ram so in hindsight probably not that surprising.
  (#116) Old
Default 04-16-2013, 08:37 PM

Still got my mini 9

2GB, 64GB, 10.5.7, 2Finger Scroll.

Hasn't had as much use since I got the original ipad, but still a great little spare computer. Runs faster than my present mac does on 10.8

A well spent 250 3-4 years ago I'd say.

It was all thanks to this forum!

Mini 9 - 10.5.7 - 2GB Ram - BiosA05 - DellEFI 1.1 - 64GB runcore (installed using 'Runcore on a Mac' method)
  (#117) Old
Send a message via MSN to kelvin911
Default 05-17-2013, 05:08 AM

I am still using my dell mini9 for work such as paper works, blogging, email, skype, etc. I bring it with me when I need a mobile device
  (#118) Old
Default 05-27-2013, 10:12 AM

Mine has been in daily use since they first came out.

It sits on my desk, attached to my main screen (via a VGA cable) for internet browsing when my company firewall gets annoying.

Doesn't take up any desk space and flies with Runcore 64GB SSD, 2GB Ram and internal SIM card doing the business.

Wouldn't be without it.
  (#119) Old
Default 08-17-2013, 01:46 PM

Mine is still going strong but now kinda takes a back seat to my iPad Mini : (
Currently running 10.6.5 but hoping to upgrade to 10.6.7 so can update iTunes for iPad.

Bud's MacBook Mini:
White Dell Mini 9, 2 GB Ram, 64Gig Runcore SSD,1505 "N" WiFi card, 1.3 MP webcam, running OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3
  (#120) Old
Default 08-27-2013, 05:29 PM

Mine still chugs along (although with a battery replacement) running Kubuntu 12.04 LTS.

« small mods i made: | Weighing repair cost vs new computer »