Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#91) Old
Default 12-12-2012, 10:27 PM

I'm still using mine for a something to grab in the living room when I want to look something up. It's currently on XP, but I'm gonna go back to Ubuntu, because it's so much faster.
  (#92) Old
Default 12-12-2012, 10:58 PM

Had mine for about a year. I now have OSX 10.6.8 on it and it is as stable as can be. I use it nearly every day as a 'kitchen" computer. I have a 32gb usb thumb drive with itunes files and sync to it. I even have my iphone backup to the ssd by making an "alias" with the terminal. When I'm working on Sundays, I watch live football games on it. Other than that ...for paying bills and skype/facetime.

There are better devices out there, but I still like this. It has a WWAN card that I never use (it works but w/tmobile 2g just doesn't cut it) and plan to put an internal 32gb Thumb Drive in it's place.

It also introduced me to the wonderful world of Hackintosh. I now have a Hackintosh Ivy Bridge quad core i7 and 27" monitor.

I have had a lot of fun with mini macbook.
  (#93) Old
Default 12-15-2012, 08:46 AM

Yup, still use it, but stopped messing with it at 10.6.5 and have mostly migrated to an 11" Air. However, I sometimes miss it when crammed in a coach seat where the air is still too big! Will probably pick up an iPad mini to load with movies and bring both along.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 64G RunCore | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Mini 10V
| OS X 10.6.5 Via USB Mac on 160G HD | 2G Ram | Bios A06 | NBI 8.4 Special | Bluetooth | Legacy Off | 1.3MP

Last edited by Slothtyper; 12-15-2012 at 08:49 AM.
  (#94) Old
Default 12-15-2012, 10:43 PM

I have had my Mini 9 about 3 years, it was given to me. I replaced a HP Mini I was using to data log on a weather station since the Dell had only 8 GB ssd. The 8 GB SSD died in the Dell Mini and finally got the ssd out and replaced it with a Dell 16 GB. The only problem I have as I can not get the Wi-Fi working. The radio will not turn on. I have Win XP SP3 loaded on the system. It will be used as a test bed for other operating systems in the future.
  (#95) Old
Default 12-16-2012, 10:24 PM

I still use mine daily (running OSX 10.6.8 on 64G runcore), including travelling with it.
My 15" Macbookpro is too large for many things.

i'm not interested in a Ipad or tablet, since I want a keyboard.
I find it funny that people spend a pile on an Ipad, buy an add-on keyboard, and end up with a netbook with less processing power for more money. Not to mention the "you can only install what we OK" thinking behind IOS.

I somewhat lazily looking for a 10v that I can run a WWAN card in.
My other option is to swap the WIFI card for WWAN card using jkkmobile's easy method, then getting one of those High powered, large antenna, external USB wifi cards.

Last edited by Leeward; 12-16-2012 at 11:11 PM.
  (#96) Old
Default 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM

Still got mine running! Got @ new year 2009, so its almost on its 4th b'day !! Running 10.6.7 because I am not convinced the reduced battery life in 10.6.8 is worth it, as I have over 4+ hours of useable battery life in current setup, and disappointed with the avg 2.5 hours reported by 10.6.8 users. Dont want to spend another peeny on it, nor need to buy an extended new battery, as my old battery still works well, as I only use this hackintosh for seminars, road trips, and SlingBox viewing in hotel rooms...and I 'condition' my battery often when doing full recharges: and I probably only have about 300+ real world hours with it.
Because I am in Mac IT, I run my hackintosh in full security high paranoia mode, with no real private info on it, and for that it is perfect!

I am very appreciative to this community as it helped me to master the hackintoshworld. I have a fully functional backup, with all the latest upgrades and appropriate apps that show off my Mac admin skills.
But, for the road, I have moved on to my iPhone + MacBook Air combo...

Dell Mini 9; Crucial 64GB SSD, 2GB RAM; BT & 1.3MP Cam
OSX 10.6.7 | BIOS A05 | NBI 20100616212351 | USB BIOS Legacy Support: Disabled | Bluetooth: Enabled
  (#97) Old
Default 01-18-2013, 09:56 PM

Apparently I last visited the forum on 04-03-2011, wow!

My Mini 9 has been going for a few years, used to use it at Uni a bit and although it has remained in my bag it hasn't got much use.
Looking to test out Windows 8 or Chromium...
  (#98) Old
Default 01-20-2013, 12:39 AM

Love my mini and it's still going strong. Never migrated to 10.6.8 (if it works don't fix it) but happily running Creative Suite and a load of photo apps - 16Gb SD card and chuck it in the backpack with the camera gear. Probably need a spare battery (just in case) but all OK just now. Used daily 'cos it lives by my comfy chair and just so easy to look stuff up... what's an iPad?

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#99) Old
Default 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM

Still have mine. Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit, Office. 2GB Ram, 32 GB Runcore SSD, Bluetooth and updated Intel Wireless-N wifi.

It sits on a shelf, in case I ever need it. I booted it a few weeks ago and put it away. I was thinking of selling it but prices on fleabay make it not worthwhile.
  (#100) Old
Default 01-30-2013, 10:45 PM

Picked up a used Mini 9 in December 2011. It had been listed as being "for parts" because the owner couldn't get it to boot up. (Turns out the 8Gb STEC SSD had been disabled in the BIOS setup - easy fix once I found it! Caveat Vendor!!) Upgraded the RAM to 2Gb, the SSD to 64 Gb, and the WiFi card to Wireless-N. (I actually used a Broadcom-based Apple Airport Extreme card - works just fine!) Total cost was less than $300. I tend to keep it on Windows XP, although I've used 7, OS X, and Ubuntu at various times.

« small mods i made: | Weighing repair cost vs new computer »