Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Operating system debate. - 07-14-2011, 07:26 PM

So I've ordered my new SSD and while I'm waiting for it to arrive I'd trying to decide on which operating system to install on it.

I work at a computer shop and I've gathered quite a collection of gadgets most bought new some rebuilt from things customers gave us to dispose of cause they didn't want to fix them:

Samsung Vibrant running Axura ROM

iPod Touch 64 4G Stock

iPad2 64 Stock

EEE701 - XP

EEE900 - Ubuntu

Acer netbook with Win 7 Starter

Macbook White - Snow Leopard

Macbook Pro - Snow Leopard

Laptop Dell 1501 Quad booting xp, vista, ubuntu and OSX leopard

Laptop Dell Vostro 13 Win 7 Ultimate

And bunch of desktops with mostly windows or multiboot windows + linux + OSX. Plus like 8 other laptops ranging from old garbage to relatively new and nice. (Not counting all the ones that don't work, like the half dozen hp DVxxxx with dead motherboards.)

So I'm pretty comfortable but also kinda bored with all the most common desktop OS's

My question is: What would be the most fun/interesting OS to run on this Mini 9? Right now I'm leaning toward Snow Leopard (I already have the retail DVD) because it would just be cool to have such a small Mac that doesn't cost so much I'm afraid to take it anywhere!

I know I'm not interested in Google's Chromium OS or whatever. I don't like the idea of an entirely cloud based experience.

So any input, opinions or musings that might help me decide, as well as any insights into how well snow leopard works and whether it's worth the trouble of installing, would be a big help and greatly appreciated.

My options are pretty unlimited since I have no real use for it except to tinker with it.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-15-2011, 12:30 AM

If you're bored with the desktop OSes, maybe try Meego? It doesn't have to be one single OS - you can double or triple boot if you like. If you think you would use a MiniMac, then by all means try SnowLeopard (just make sure you stop at 10.6.7.)

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 07-16-2011, 03:33 AM

Thanks again for the suggestions holmes. I went with Snow Leopard following Oscar's guide and so far it's flawless.

I am a bit concerned about running a journaled filesystem on this SSD though, all those writes!

« Can I wipe the factory SSD? | Has anyone painted their mini? »