Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Ubuntu Netbook, Keep Mac OS X.5, or Upgrade to X.6? - 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM

I bought my Dell Mini for the express purpose of hacking OS X onto it. These were the Halcyon days of OS X.5 and direct kernel support for the Atom.

My current install is 10.5.5 or so, and it works pretty well. All the drivers work. I have sound, mic, webcam, SD Card, etc.

But these were also the days before the iPad -- and now my iPad fulfills the need I had for the Mini 9 (Papers, a research organization program for Mac OS X, has an iPad port).

So in order to boost the speed and still make use of the Mini as a browser/chat/light programming box, I thought I'd try Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Plus I plan to give it to my 16-month old daughter at some point with some Edubuntu stuff installed.

The question is, though, will UNR increase my general speed/battery life/etc? Or should I maybe stick with OS X? If OS X, should I stick with my working install, or should I upgrade to 10.6? I read 10.6 has some compatibility issues -- how serious are these?

Thoughts, anyone? (I mean, I could always get an Air at some point I suppose if I really want a tiny Mac.)
  (#2) Old
Default 04-04-2011, 07:53 PM

I dunno much about hackintoshes, but I think hackintosh Mini 9 netbooks originally didn't reduce the CPU speed when idle, which wasted some power. I dunno if it's still true. So, Ubuntu could offer improved battery life, but don't expect miracles.

As for general speed, I don't think you'll see much improvement, if any. I think the main trick to speed up any netbook running whatever OS is lightweight software and Flash/script/ad blocking on webpages. The CPU is weak, so it's important to minimize it's load.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default Less is More - 12-17-2011, 06:49 PM

If your mini 9 is working fine I'd leave well enough alone- unless you want to try Snow Leopard or Ubuntu- Many Linux programs work very well and can even run in RAM- if you want to dabble I suggest trying Joli OS which can load via usb or disc you can play without loading it on the HD. Joli is much like a blend of mac & windows- enjoy

Mini 10v/1GB RAM/160GB HD/ BIOS A06/SL 10.6.6
Mini 9 /2GB RAM/ 16GB SSD/BIOS A05/SL 10.6.6
OSX Installation via USB & Mac
NBMaker 0.8.4.RC1 / NBI 20100616212351
"Remember to back up your hard earned work with a boot-able disc BEFORE upgrading!"
  (#4) Old
Default 12-17-2011, 11:23 PM

Your daughter will need a different computer by the time she will be using computers/cell phones etc. Use what ever OS you are comfortable with. If you want to experiment with Ubuntu, you don't have to install it to test it out.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#5) Old
Default 01-12-2012, 03:26 PM

this is what we like about Linux...
I also like the idea of having linux as an option.
  (#6) Old
Default 02-09-2012, 11:45 PM

Ubuntu is faster. But Mac is fantastic. I would upgrade to Snow Leopard, it's another world!

But that's a personal decision. I personaly would try to run Ubuntu on an USB during a week and then decide wich is better for you.

DELL Mini 9 | Original 8GB SSD | 1GB RAM | Bluetooth | 16GB SD HD | MAC OS X 10.6 | BIOS A07

mac os x, mac os x.6 snow leopard, ubuntu netbook remix

« New SSD w/ WinXP | Mini wont boot up »