Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Running an OS from SD card - 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM

Hi, I'm hoping this is the right forum for this.

I've put a post up in the vista forum explaining the current situation with my 8GB Mini 9 (which is that the SSD seems to be pretty much be dead and unusable) - while I'm waiting for a new SSD (which could be a while) I was wondering if anyone had any advice about the possibility of actually booting and running an OS from a card in the SD slot?

I have a 16GB card, I've read that people have been able to boot special versions of XP and also ubuntu from them, I know performance wouldn't be great - its a short term solution, I'd like to be able to get basic web browsing and e-mail back up and running on the machine while I get a new SSD, because the machine is just a door stop to me right now.

Any advice?

I saw some instructions to get xp booting off the SD card somewhere but they were hideously complicated, if running ubuntu in its non-installed mode is an option I'd happily take that and use a bit of firefox for my web browsing needs.

(PS. Does the "removal media" option in the bios's boot settings essentially refer to the SD card slot? I'm assuming .. hoping it does)
  (#2) Old
Send a message via AIM to jeffburg
Default Re: Running an OS from SD card - 01-17-2009, 07:43 PM

The BIOS in the mini is not capable of booting from the built in sd card slot. you would need an external usb sd card reader that presents itself as a USB mass storage device. then the BIOS would not be able to tell the difference between that card reader and a usb thumb drive or hard drive

Mini9 Black/32GB RunCore/1GB/BT/Leopard
2.4GHz Aluminum iMac/320GB/4GB/Leopard
1.83GHz White iMac/150GB/1.5GB/Leopard Server
733MHz PowerMac G4 40GB/512MB/Tiger Server
500MHz PowerBook G3 40GB/1GB/Tiger
25MHz NeXT Cube 750MB/16MB/NeXTSTEP 3.3
  (#3) Old
Default Re: Running an OS from SD card - 01-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Ok, any advice on how to boot ubuntu from a USB drive then?
  (#4) Old
Default Re: Running an OS from SD card - 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM

This is about installing ubuntu, but does include your question as part of the process. ... -mini.html
  (#5) Old
Default Re: Running an OS from SD card - 01-20-2009, 01:47 AM

If the distribution has drivers for the SD drive built in, it should be possible to place just the /boot partition on the regular SSD (taking roughly 100mb space) and the root partition on the SD Card. Grub would be on the SSD, would offer the choice between Linux and Windows. When Linux is chosen, Grub would have access to the SSD to grab the Linux kernel and Initial Ramdisk. These would load drivers for the SD Card and be able to access the root partition.

« How Long Did Yours Take? | A Few Questions Regarding Mini 9 »