Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default Poor Man's Dual Boot: OSX and XP - 02-22-2011, 03:51 AM

Hey guys, I just recently setup a dual boot system on my Mini 9. It's got the standard 16 GB HD and I like to use power applications like Photoshop, so space is important to me. On the other hand, I need Mac OS X as well as Windows XP on the same system with enough space on both systems for things like I had a problem.

Solution: get a 16GB USB stick, mount it internally using the internal USB trick several guys on here have listed, and install Mac OS X on the 16 GB USB drive, while keeping my Windows XP system on the Mini's hard drive intact.

At that point, just tap 0 on boot up to select USB, then into Mac OS you go. For me, it was the lowest cost solution for dual booting Windows XP and Mac OS X, especially with mac os X being a space hog.
  (#2) Old
Default 02-22-2011, 05:16 AM

Interesting solution. In my experience, OSX on USB has been dreadfully slow. Were able to find a flash drive with good IO (read/write) performance? If so, what did you use?

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link:
  (#3) Old
Default 02-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Boot Up is a little sluggish, takes about 2 minutes to boot up. But once the system is on it's more than usable. Program loads and the like take a few more moments than before, but nothing I can't handle. I picked up the PNY 16gb ATTACHE, here: Google Shopping Link

« better for extra storage? ext HD or 16GB USB stick | Looking for a Dell Mini 9 owner in London »