Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default just ordered my mini 9, what next? - 01-16-2009, 03:58 AM

ok, so i just ordered my mini 9 16gb model. what next? what do i need in terms of flash memory, usb keys? things like that? how do i install programs on it if it does not have a cd drive? any help would be amazing, im new to the mini scene, but pretty computer literate.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: just ordered my mini 9, what next? - 01-16-2009, 04:15 AM

If you have another computer at home with a USB port and you own a 2GB USB flash drive then you can generally work around the lack of a cd-rom drive. Just copy your installation files to the flash drive on your other computer, then plug it into your mini to install them. What else you "need" really depends on how you plan on using the machine.

Remember - it's small and it is definitely not a desktop replacement. I have a 5 year old desktop as my main computer and I actually find the mini to be just as capable in nearly every usage. What I use it most for is watching Hulu in bed before going to sleep for the night, reading some pdf based books on my commute to and from work, and generally just screwing around on. I still do the vast majority of my web browsing and email on my desktop.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
  (#3) Old
Default Re: just ordered my mini 9, what next? - 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM

If you have a wireless network at home, you can pop a CD in a drive in another computer and access it via the network to load programs. That's how I put Office on mine. I've upgraded mine with a 2GB Ram chip, and a 16GB SD card. I load and run most programs and save most data on to the SD card. I'm having a big time with this little machine. It actually cost only a few dollars more than my Palm TX, but is soooo much more versatile. My wife fell in love with it and I ordered her a "Previously Ordered New" Muse In Purple model off the Dell Outlet site. Got it Tuesday. She's having fun. Enjoy!
  (#4) Old
Send a message via ICQ to niw_uk1964 Send a message via MSN to niw_uk1964
Default Re: just ordered my mini 9, what next? - 01-17-2009, 01:53 AM

I bought a neoprene sleeve for mine and a 32GB SDHC card for storing media on. The mini 9 is now my main general purpose computer - web browsing, mail and movies.

2 cylinders is enough, but 3 is a fine compromise
Dell Mini-9, Runcore 32GB ssd, 2GB RAM, Ubuntu 8.10

« Woot deal on 8gb SDHC | Why 39 MB vs. 70 MB Dell partition size »