Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default slow firefox in 8.10? - 01-14-2009, 06:58 PM

I have a white mini 9 with 2 gb of ram and the 4gb* stec SSD. I wiped it and put 8.10 on the bugger from a USB. Things run pretty well on it, although Firefox is noticeably slow for me when doing certain things. I do have at least a few things configured to try to speed things up, like turning pre-fetching off ( ... books.html).

However, I still get a lot of hangups, particularly when trying to scroll. It will usually pause for about a second or two before scrolling, and then it will be fine and scroll OK for a little before pausing again.

I usually have 5-6 tabs open, but my mem usage is never very high. Hopefully I can remedy this and it's not just slowness inherent in the platform. Thoughts?

*I am of course regretting the 4GB SSD, but I am holding off on upgrading because A)I'd like to see if the mini 10 lives up to expectations, and B) Perhaps the prices will come down a tad, with Patriot and possibly others finally making mini-compatible SSDs.
  (#2) Old
Default Re: slow firefox in 8.10? - 01-14-2009, 08:42 PM

I tend to find the slowdown on scrolling only appears when pages contain Flash, so I rather suspect it's the Adobe plugin causing it. Or Firefox's method of loading it. Or, uh, something else.
  (#3) Old
Default Re: slow firefox in 8.10? - 01-14-2009, 11:55 PM

try running top in a terminal and make sure nothing is chewing up cpu time.

try disabling 'smooth scrolling' in firefox

try firefox 3.1 beta, it has some awesome performance improvements

try epiphany-webkit. a very lean and mean browser

« Software Sources Cannot Download | My First Netbook »