Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#1) Old
Default How can I install keys on the keyboard? - 11-27-2010, 12:19 AM

My cat decided to use my Dell's mini keyboard as a scratch pad and now half of my keyboard is on the floor. Is there a visual guide somewhere about pushing these things back in? It doesn't look very intuitive...
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-27-2010, 01:30 AM

it probably would be easier just to buy a new keyboard they arent that expensive....I would get a new cat while you are at it.......they are cheap too, I mean all ya need is the cat right?, ya got the kitty pan and food dishes already and probably cat food too, just have to get the new cat....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 11-29-2010, 05:43 AM

I apologize in advance if this is completely irrelevant to you.
I've got a 10v and I'm not sure how similar the keyboards are, but I found mine to be none too difficult to reassemble. The keys are comprised of two interlocking flimsy white plastic bits and the black key. If the white moving section is still attached to the computer, place the black key over it and put pressure on the bottom of the key. You should hear a light snap.
Here's a picture of the keyboard with just the black section missing: Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter
The white circle piece tips below the square section at the top but nests on top of the square section at the bottom. The tab in the square piece nests in an indent in the circle piece, so that should help with correct orientation. There are two spindles on the circular piece that attach it to the square piece. If the pieces are disassembled, you'll have to bend the square gently to get them to snap into place. This unit attaches into u-shaped metal catches on the board and is a bit more tedious to get in to place. Put pressure on all corners to make sure you've got it.
Be aware that some of the keys are upside down or sideways in relation to the rest. I think the arrow keys are, but I've forgotten which ones in particular. You'll be able to tell based on the shape of the keyboard (there's no point symmetry).
Finally, most of the wider keys have a metal bar on the back which must be slid into place prior to snapping the key in. The bar is [ shaped. The long, central section is secured on the back of the black key and the legs move (mostly) freely. Slide them into the metal rings on the board before snapping the key into place. If memory serves, the spacebar has two of these. Take a breath and think of your favorite curses before attempting.

« Mini 9 won't boot! | Better Battery Monitor »